Discussion Forum

Exile question, please help

If I fling a creature at my opponent's creature and he cloudshifts it, I understand that that creature survives. However, my target is invalid, and according to 714.1. (If a player realizes that he or she can't legally take an action after starting to do so, the entire action is reversed and any payments already made are canceled. No abilities trigger and no effects apply as a result of an undone action. If the action was casting a spell, the spell returns to the zone it came from.) I get to keep my fling in my hand. My questions are do my lands stay tapped and is my mana forfeited, and does he keep his cloudshift?
Posted 22 June 2012 at 14:18

Hum, I'm not sure which version of the rules you are using but in the current ones 714 relates to 'starting the game' http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules_20120501.txt , the one you quoted is now 717 and the illegal actions it refers to are not really the same as the situation you described.

In situations like yours, once you complete the process of casting a spell(or activating an ability) and it's on the stack, nothing can revert that process.

if, once the spell is on the stack but before it resolves, something causes the spell to no longer have any valid targets, then the spell is countered.
Posted 22 June 2012 at 14:29

Huh, that makes sense. Those rules were just something I saw on an mtg salvation forum, I guess they were wrong. Thanks for the help. :)
Posted 22 June 2012 at 14:33

i think they apply to actions like the situation you described above but where after you were done casting Fling your opponent points out that he has a Sigarda in play, which means you were not able to sac your creature for Fling.
that would lead to to you untapping your mana, putting Fling back in your hand and the creature back in it's previous state.
Posted 22 June 2012 at 17:32