Discussion Forum

restoration angel's flicker

does a restoration angel's flicker ability resolve all at once or does it exile the creature, give you a chance to check activated abilities, cast spells and so on, then resolve the return to the battlefield?

in other words, if i have a fiend hunter on the field that is exiling an opponent's creature and i cast a restoration angel that targets the fiend hunter, does it exile, return the opponent's creature, then come back. or does it exile, come back then return the opponent's creature?
Posted 26 June 2012 at 00:53

When Restoration Angel enters the battlefield, you may exile target non-Angel creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control.

1. Restoration angel enters the field, ability goes on the stack and you choose a target (Fiend Hunter)

2. priority is passed and the ability resolves. Fiend hunter is exiled then returned to the field.

When Fiend Hunter enters the battlefield, you may exile another target creature.
When Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.

3. Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield ability goes on the stack
4. Fiend Hunter enters the field ability goes on the stack and you choose a target

5. priority is passed back and forth for the ability in point 4, it resolves and the target is exiled

6. priority is passed back and forth for ability in point 3, the creature fiend hunter origenally exiled is returned to the field, if it has any come in play effects these effects are now put on the stack in the order of its controllers choosing.

does that clear it up? Nothing in magic happens all at once but abilities and spells resolve fully before any other ability or spell can resolve. You cannot resolve or even react in the middle of something that is resolving.
Posted 26 June 2012 at 14:31

thanks, the reason i need to know is because im thinking about infinite loops with fiend hunters, and i noticed that acording to my knowledge of the rules restoration angel fills any number of the 3 places, but i wanted to make sure that i was right first.
Posted 27 June 2012 at 10:59

I was just wondering if this would also work like Oblivion Ring and Boomerang, would you be able to remove two creatures from the game with Fiend Hunter and then responding to it with Restoration Angel? Just wondering.
Posted 30 June 2012 at 08:25

[QUOTE=AROD0770]I was just wondering if this would also work like Oblivion Ring and Boomerang, would you be able to remove two creatures from the game with Fiend Hunter and then responding to it with Restoration Angel? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]With Fiend Hunter/Oblivion Ring/Journey to Nowhere abilities that work the way they do, they trigger after the permanant enters play for their removal effect. If you can trigger their leaves play ability while their enters the battlefield effect is still on the stack, it will return nothing from exile, and then it will exile something.
Posted 18 July 2012 at 23:54