Discussion Forum

Pucca's Mischief + Master Transmuter + Immortal Question

Ok, here is the situation...I have:

Relic Of Progenitus on the field, also have Pucca's Mischief and Master Transmuter along with Elsewhere Flask. Is this a legal move during the beginning of my upkeep?
Tap Island, activate Master Transmuter's effect, return Elsewhere Flask to my hand and place immortal coil into play then switch the immortal coil with another permanent my opponent controls with Pucca's Mischief effect? Then of course activate Relic of Progenitus for game.
Posted 30 June 2012 at 08:14

Being as Puca's Mischief's ability only works at the beginning of your upkeep, I don't think you could do this all at once. The moment your upkeep starts, you have to choose whether or not to use Puca's Mischief's ability, and, if you use it, you have to choose your targets immediately.
Posted 01 July 2012 at 07:20

Yes It's legal. You just react to the beginning of your upkeep with master transmuter then let the trigger of Puca go on the stack. And even if this were not legal which I strongly doubt you can also use Master Transmuter at the end of the untap step before your upkeep.
Posted 01 July 2012 at 08:13

Seth:

I thought so but I just wanted clarification since we had this discussion during casual play. Thanks for the explanation and also for explaining that it could be done after untap phase.
Posted 02 July 2012 at 05:49

I was actually talking with a few judges about a very minor variation on this question, and becaue of the way Puca's Mischief works, you can't do it on that turn.

The reason is that when Puca's Mischief triggers, you have to immediately declare targets. If a target leaves play after it triggers, the trigger immediately fizzles.

If you use the transmuter at the end of their second main phase, then you can switch out for the coil and win during your upkeep.
Posted 19 July 2012 at 23:45