Discussion Forum

Day 3 back on the Legacy Tourney Circuit

Well heading back into the tournament (Red Room at That's Entertainment - Gratuitidous advertisment for local business, they can thank me later) for day three on the tourney circuit this Sunday, Sunday, Sunday... and decided to make some tweeks to the deck I used two weeks ago. I went 2 Wins 3 Losses (G1 0-2, G2 2-0, G3 1 -2, G4 2-1, G5-0-2) with the former version of this deck but hoping the additions of wirewood symbiote, elvish visionary, and green sun zenith, I should be able to speed things up for this week's games. Any thoughts or final tweek suggestions before I head back into the tourney battlegrounds this weekend?

North Pole Nite Shift - Dude's 1st Path to Pain (G/B Elvish Tribal)
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=341460
Posted 04 July 2012 at 19:16

Is there a reason you don't play combo elves? 4xGlimpse of Nature at about 19$ each is the only real investment you would need to make. You can keep it Mono Green even when playing Mirror Entity as win condition with Birchlore Rangers.
You would also need to max out Green Sun's Zenith and maybe add a crop rotation or 2 to get to that Gaea's Cradle or possibly a white mana source if you don't have Birchlore Rangers and you need to play Mirror Entity or Gaddock Teeg or some other sideboard card like Harmonic Sliver which I'm currently running.
And you don't even have to play Mirror entity, you could run 1 to 3xEmrakul as a timewalk. That's always fun against Show and Tell decks :)

I've decided to play elves myself at a tournament sunday. I could play Sneaky Show but I enjoy playing elves far more and it's just such a strong deck. I do actually beat Show and Tell decks about 50% of the time so I have a shot against even those decks. Hive mind decks and Storm decks might be a bigger issue but even those I can beat by being faster. The Deck overwhelms most opponents in 2 to 3 turns and the more I practise playing this deck the more I like it.

Decks I do fear are Merfolk running chalice of the void maindeck (something people do at the moment over here) and UW Miracles with counterbalance which seems like a really bad matchup.
Posted 05 July 2012 at 13:29

[QUOTE=Seth]Is there a reason you don't play combo elves? 4xGlimpse of Nature at about 19$ each is the only real investment you would need to make. You can keep it Mono Green even when playing Mirror Entity as win condition with Birchlore Rangers.
You would also need to max out Green Sun's Zenith and maybe add a crop rotation or 2 to get to that Gaea's Cradle or possibly a white mana source if you don't have Birchlore Rangers and you need to play Mirror Entity or Gaddock Teeg or some other sideboard card like Harmonic Sliver which I'm currently running.
And you don't even have to play Mirror entity, you could run 1 to 3xEmrakul as a timewalk. That's always fun against Show and Tell decks :)

[/QUOTE]

The real reason I didn't want to play combo elves, is i wanted to do something different. I figured if everyone was playing W/G I could do something to a similar effect with G/B. Although Mirror Entity is a win condition in combo elves, i think that timberwatch elves and/or elduruzi renegade leader work just as well. Birchlore Rangers could be a nice addition, and i definately like the crop rotation card to get to the gaia's cradle, as i have been trying to find a way to fetch for it.
Posted 05 July 2012 at 20:58

... oh and working on getting my hands on glimpse of nature and emakrul's
Posted 05 July 2012 at 20:59

I went 3-2-2 with my elves yesterday, could have gone 4-2-1 as I kind of messed up the first game.

round 1 against Lands:

g1: the guy locks me out with Glacial Chasm, Exploration and Life from the Loam. I think I have no out so I scoop. I forgot I made the last minute change of running Scavenging Ooze main so I could have won that game.
g2: I play some elves, he plays Trinisphere, 2 turns later I destroy Trinisphere and combo out.
g3: Long game where I get locked again with Glacial Chasm and I don't seem to draw into Green Sun's Zenith to get My ooze. We go into time and I'm one turn short of killing him when time runs out.

0-0-1

round 2 against WB Stoneblade:

g1: I play a few elves, he doesn't do much other then play a few swords of Plowshares on my dudes. I kill him just by beating him down with about 5 1/1 elves.
g2: He opens with Grafdigger's Cage which kills my Green Sun's Zenith. He discards som of cards, builds up a game with Bitterblossom, Stoneforge Mystic, Batterskull and Umezawa's Jitte. I still beat him by destroying his artifacts with repeated Viridian Shaman bounce.

1-0-1

round 3 against another WB Stoneblade:

g1: We shuffle and our decks get taken away by the judge for a random deck check. We get them back every card of the same type nicly packed together so we have to shuffle for like 10 minutes to randomize our decks again. The guy spoke french I speak dutch so we communicated in english. He was a nice guy and he played really well. He opens with a Dark Ritual into Dark Confidant and Toughtseize I think. I don't really do much as he destroys my hand with hymn to Tourach and my board with removal. Anyway I put up a fight and he puts down 3 Dark Confidents with no Sensei's Divining Top. I do get some beats in and he eventually dies to the combination of my beats and the damage he takes from his multiple Confidants.
g2: He destroys me with turn 1 Dark Ritual Hymn To Tourach followed by a turn 2 Hymn To Tourach. He wins.
g3: We go into time, he has a lot of tokes from lingering souls and I don't have enough elves to break trough that in Turn 5 of time but I do combo out. So I start generating mana with 2 resolved glimpse
of nature that force me to draw cards. I tell the guy I can combo and kill him with my Mortarpod which was in play. I could not loose as I had infinite mana but he made me generate that mana step by step which was pointless but because of the glimpse triggers I was obligated to do go through the steps. We were the only ones still playing so I went through the painful process of generating 40 mana with so many triggers going on and about 40 people standing around me of which 2 head judges whatching my every move. I won.

2-0-1

round 4 against RUG Delver:

he beat me bad. multiple Force of Wills on my key cards, Fire/Ice destroying my board. I did side in Ensnaring bride locking him for a while but it wasn't enough.

2-1-1

round 5 against Loam:

I could not beat this deck, the woman playing the deck was packing engineered explosives, Darkblast, Lightning bolt, Mealstrom Pulse and Sesimic Assault. It was brutal. I did manage to win game 1 by combo but I lost g2 and then our 50 minutes were up so it was another draw witch put me out of the Top8.

2-1-2

round 6 vs UW Miracles:

very difficult matchup, I played the same deck the tournament before so I knew what I was up against. g1: I combo out Turn 3 and he has Sensei's Divining Top which allows him to Terminus at instant speed. So I combo and mid combo with about 20 elves on the board I play Viridian Shaman targetting his Sensei's Diving Top forcing him to Terminus if he has it. He does and he destroys my 20+ elves. I still have 26 mana in the pool and I continue to combo by playing 8 new elves and Joraga Warcaller kicked for 10 and pass the turn. He swords to plowshares my Joraga Warcaller and passes the turn. I play Mirror Entity boost my elves with Gaea's Cradle to 7/7's and win.
g2: He opens with Engineered Explosives on 1. I play a few elves and start beating but holding elves in reserve. He plays Terminus, few turns later he locks me with counterbalance Top. Game drags on for a bit and then he makes a mistake. End of turn he puts his Sensei's divining Top on the top of his library and reveals Entreat the Angels. He cracks his fetchland in response to get an extra mana shuffleing his Sensei's divining Top away and breaking his lock. He creates 4 angels, untaps and attacks all in thinking I can't beat him because I only had 2 creatures in play myself. He beats me from 18 to 2 life.
Next turn, as I was saving up spells due to being locked, I combo out and kill him with my 2 creatures for 4000 damage :)

3-1-2

round 7 versus EsperBlade:

guy is pretty good and my deck just doens't want to play along. I draw into to much land and he destroys me with repeated Swords to plowshares coupled with Snapcaster mage and then Umezawa's Jitte.
g2: He opens with Thoughtseize taking my Glimpse. Turn 3 I have 5 elves out and I chain 2 Gaea's Cradle together with crop Rotation and I fetch Regal Force drawing me 6 cards. I draw 5 land and 1 elf. He destroys me with Batterskull, Umezawa's Jitte, Zealous Persecution and tokens. Zealous Persecution is really good against elves :(

3-2-2

It was a fun day.
Posted 09 July 2012 at 07:45