Discussion Forum

Mono Red Burn vs R/U Burn

Which do u guys prefer?

For me it's Red and Red only.

I've been playing with my Mono R burn deck against my friend's R/U burn deck, and I never seem to win this deck...so modifications have to be made in order to correct the situation =P

The way I see it, splashing Blue with Red gives u an advantage in drawing cards, and keeping a steady flow of burns in your hand, whereas me having to depend on the drawphase, not having any Red draw a card spells, I simply cant keep up with the phase, unless I have a Shrine of Burning Rage early in my opening hand, or get extremely lucky with Pyromancers Ascension early on, but even that doesnt seem to help.

My friends Deck runs Kiln fiends & Delver of secrets, as the main combo creatures, he even got a couple of Ludevigs test subjects there, and they work nicely, even if it was hard to believe they wud be to any use in a burn deck. Add a lot of burn and draw spells...there u have it, and it works 1 vs 1 pretty damn good.

In my mono Red I run Kiln Fiends, Fire Servants, Cinder Pyromancers and Charmbreaker devils, as creatures. If u are interested to see the whole deck check out the link

Deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=357674

Yesterday I added Dangerous wagers to the deck, I even had a 2 x faithless lootings there, but tbh they might be too risky.

One person, TreeGecko, commenting the deck suggested Browbeat. I looked it up and immidiately grew fond of it, seems very solid in a mono red burn.

I'd gladly hear more suggestions or see other point of views of how to make a smooth MRB deck prevail a R/U one.

I was also wondering if the Charmbreaker devils are unecessary in the deck, being manacost wise very expensive...but I've kept them there to combo with Pyromancer's ascension..

Cheers. Maiske
Posted 06 July 2012 at 19:51

in my opinion you can't play pyromancer ascension without playing blue, you need blue to make the card good, without it it's utter crap.

Also if you are going to play mono red you might as well play a much lower mana curve and make a deck that can goldfish in 4 turns with relative concistency. The only thing Mono red has going for itself is speed, a slow red deck isn't going to win games.

Also in the UR version, if your friend is running spells like daze and spell pierce he has a serious edge against your deck that you probably just can't beat playing mono.
Posted 07 July 2012 at 18:33

appreciate your point of view! Its true Pyromancer's ascension would benefit from adding more blue sorcerys and instants. I'd still wanna keep my deck mono red though, maybe get ridd off Ascension, and try to make it work some other way, though I'd wanna figure out a way to make it work in mono red.. :)

How about exchaning P.Ascensions to Dual castings? but that doesnt really work out against a burn deck either, as a creature of mine's lucky to survive 1 or 2 turns.

There's no control spells in the R/U deck..would assume it be even more effective if it did.
Posted 07 July 2012 at 20:23

If there are no control spells I would build a faster burn deck that is more spell based and less creature based

Creatues to concider

Hellspark Elemental
Goblin Guide
Grim Lavamancer
Vexing Devil
Keldon Marauders

Spells

Lightning Bolt
Thunderous Wrath
Fireblast (= really good!!)
Chain Lightning
Rift Bolt
Flame Rift
Lava Spike

Something I used to run as wel is Ankh of Mishra, it's pretty good against decks that need a lot of land. and you yourself don't really need more then 2 land.
Posted 09 July 2012 at 07:02

Thx buddie for the advice. Appreciate it.

Actually I slightly modified the deck last nite, removed all the high manacost creatures (Fire servant & Charmbreaker Devils), and added 4 Chandra's spitfires as they combo pretty good with Cinder Pyromancer, which im fond of atm.

So now i got

4x Kiln Fiends
4x Chandra's Spitfires
4x Cinder Pyromancers

as the creature base.

Havent even considered Goblin guides, vexing devils & Grim lavamancers (slightly cheaper than the other 2) due to being rather expensive cards. I'm trying to keep my decks wallet friendly, still being a beginner at the sport as I bought my first booster pack last fall, so I dont have a huge collection of cards yet.. as I mostly buy singles, and an occasional booster/s every now and then.

I wouldnt mind having 4 goblin guides in my aggro goblin/artifact deck, or 4 vexing devils in my demon/devil deck or this one...but they have to wait 'till the prices drop if they ever do :)

I kno quantity doesnt top quality, but still i've chosen to build a decent amount of "less professional" decks, and rather focusing on fun themes, mechanics or combos, rather than spending all my money on a single deck or two. Sorry for the little economic introduction..i got carried away there. :)

but I'll surely try and fit Keldon Marauders and Hellspark elementals, into the deck, or in another one, they seem solid in a aggro deck.

Am I mistaken, but there seems to be a lack of activity over at the boards...or is just my stupid questions that keep people at bay? :D

Another question I gotta ask...since I dont any experience of using Flings in a deck. But would it be a wasted card in a deck like mine? I mean pumping a Spitfire or a Kilnfiend, and finishing the turn with a Fling after attacking (if possible at that point).
Posted 10 July 2012 at 19:52

activity on the boards is very low, few posts a day with not many people responding to posts other then myself and a few others who try to make an effort keeping the place alive.

Fling is excellent for your deck.

You can still build fairly cheap decks that are good if you play them well. The best thing to do is stay away from what is good in standard (the latest few sets, they are always higher in price then other sets) and you have to be willing to play 2 or 3 colors, that often makes a deck far stronger. That said I just participated in a Pauper Legacy tournament (it's a tournament where only commons are allowed) and it seems like straight forward mono blue is still nuts, boring as hell but fairly unbeatable with other colors.

you should check out this site

http://pdcmagic.com/

it has a lot of competitive decks running only commons. You can get many ideas there and those decks costs almost nothing.
Posted 11 July 2012 at 06:50

I checked the site! Very interesting stuff..gotta give it a try, and have a small pauper tournament with friends sometime soon, adds a lot of fun to casual gaming :)

How did u do in the tourney btw? What deck did u run?

Been playtesting the burn deck, after modifying the deck, cant afford buying chain lightnings atm (13€ piece), but im thining of adding fireblasts / riftbolts / lava spikes / to the deck, and remove either shocks, incinerates or flame slashes. Its true P.Ascension only slows me down, when I could do significant damage, but copying a browbeat is just so damn awesome :)

Maybe ill move Ascensions to side and add 4 flings in main to see the difference.
Posted 14 July 2012 at 09:32

I ran a personalized version of Mono Black Control (as I usually do) and I went 2-2-0 loosing to the mirror and Mono Blue Control.
Posted 14 July 2012 at 11:12