Discussion Forum

Mono-Green Critique Needed....

Hello all. I'm just getting back into MTG after a lapse of almost 10 years, and just built my first deck. It's a work in progress, but I was hoping those of you that aren't quite as out of practice as I am at building might take a look and give a critique.

It's Mono-Green(with a few artifacts) that tries to take advantage of the enter/leave battlefield bonuses many cards have by using Conjurer's Closet and Roaring Primadox to get said bonuses multiple times from the same card(if needed).

Thanks in advance! :D

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=365286
Posted 23 July 2012 at 10:02

do you prefer comments here on the site?

i think your deck looks interesting... but seem as its a more "control" version of mono green, i would add creatures/spells that let do that even more...

acidic slime - nice land destruction, almost always trades in combat, and can also kill sword (mythic equipment...)

if you build around primadox, i'd suggest putting in 4 of him... thragtusk is also a beast (in more than one way) that i would play 4-off...

now this leaves your mana-curve slightly higher, so mana ramping seems essential.. low mana cost creatures that let you search for lands seems good, but also sorceries can help you dig out forest...

elvish visionary is also a card i'd go with 4 of... card draw is great. specially in green..

green sun's zenith is a effictive search tool to green.. should add a few of those...

for the artifacts; i think, the conjures closet is a bit to slow.. its a 5 mana, and really doesnt do much besides "blinking" one of your creatures at end of turn... i would look for something more beneficial..
young wolf; i would give this spot to some mana dork, like birds of paradise...

for huge finishers you're pretty decent coveret... thragtusk, hydra, champion and ooze can all be a threat later game... though i think ooze might be a bit slow.. would look to dungrove elder instead...

since you're also running a few morbid cards, maybe a birthing pod or 2? that can also let you search for the specific creature that you need, should you not have a GSZ in hand...

also m13 had that 4 drop elf that lets you play green spells as instants...

(removal spells in green; prey upon, beast within)

hope this can be of any use... :)
Posted 23 July 2012 at 10:57

Thanks for the tips. =)

I'm not trying to build specifically around Roaring Primadox because he REQUIRES you to pull a creature from the battlefield. In game I'd rather have the choice to do so, but he'd be good to throw out in certain situations. Hence Conjurer's Closet, plus the "blinking" allows me to get the enter/leave benefits without having to repay the mana cost. Just think of what that could do with Thragtusk(which is WAY too expen$ive for me to put in 4). :p

I know green sun's zenith is still legal in Standard(I think), but playing it in a deck can make you a bit of a pariah because it's been banned in some formats due to how powerful it is. I'd just rather not deal with the hassle. :(

I do think I'm going to try and incorporate "Yeva, Nature's Herald" though like you suggested. That whole mechanic of letting you play ALL your creatures like they had Flash is too good to pass up.

Thanks again! :D
Posted 23 July 2012 at 14:21

[QUOTE=FuseUnison]Thanks for the tips. =)

I'm not trying to build specifically around Roaring Primadox because he REQUIRES you to pull a creature from the battlefield. In game I'd rather have the choice to do so, but he'd be good to throw out in certain situations. Hence Conjurer's Closet, plus the "blinking" allows me to get the enter/leave benefits without having to repay the mana cost. Just think of what that could do with Thragtusk(which is WAY too expen$ive for me to put in 4). :p

I know green sun's zenith is still legal in Standard(I think), but playing it in a deck can make you a bit of a pariah because it's been banned in some formats due to how powerful it is. I'd just rather not deal with the hassle. :(

I do think I'm going to try and incorporate "Yeva, Nature's Herald" though like you suggested. That whole mechanic of letting you play ALL your creatures like they had Flash is too good to pass up.

Thanks again! :D[/QUOTE]

GSZ are only banned in modern, and still playable in standard until october 5th. ofcourse if you're planning on competing with your deck in thoose kind of formats aswell i can see why you won't include it.. other wise it's just awesome :cool:

if you stick with the closet, i'd still suggest you include more mana-dorks... Birds of paradise, borderland ranger (for forest search).. :)
Posted 23 July 2012 at 14:38

I don't have any copies of Birds of Paradise, plus it's M12 and will cycle out in October....though I may try to get my hands on some and use them while I can.

I originally did have some Borderland Rangers in the deck but it's a 3 mana 2/2 with the mana search -> place into hand mechanic, so I decided to replace it with a two other cards(I know that sounds weird but hold with me).

I replaced it with "Young Wolf" which can essentially be played twice(first 1/1, second 2/2) for 1G, and I get the "Borderland Ranger" mana mechanic from "Caravan Vigil" (which also had the morbid benefit of placing the mana directly to battlefield) which is only 1G as well. The only thing is that I can't take advantage of the enter/leave loop I could do with "Borderland Ranger", but I'll still be able to eventually re-use my dead "Young Wolf" and "Caravan Vigil" cards thanks to the side benefit of "Elixir of Immortality"(aside from the 5 life it gives).

This indeed may be flawed thinking, but I guess I'll find out after the first few games I play. I may end up going back to "Borderland Ranger" like you recommend. :o
Posted 23 July 2012 at 15:04

if you're going to play that way, i'd look into birthing pod... yes it also rotates out by october, but it should be relatively easy to get a few copies of, from the event deck "Spiraling doom"
Posted 23 July 2012 at 16:59

[QUOTE=FuseUnison]This indeed may be flawed thinking, but I guess I'll find out after the first few games I play. I may end up going back to "Borderland Ranger" like you recommend. :o[/QUOTE]

Looks like a lot of the recommendations for blinking/bouncing have been made already. Like many, I think it might be good with budget cards like Acidic Slime, Elvish Visionary, Bond Beetle, Vital Splicer, Viridian Corrupter, and Borderland Ranger.

Also consider Stingerfling Spider for the side deck in case you have to deal with flying threats. Those are also rotating out but my guess is there will be plenty of flying threats to deal with between now and October and they won't break your budget.

Whatever you decide to do, play it like a pro. ;)
Posted 23 July 2012 at 17:54

Thanks for the help everybody. I went out to try and find that event deck and picked up a few boosters as well. I ended up getting a copy of "Garruk, Primal Hunter" so I think I just may end up completely reworking the deck so he'll have a comfortable place somewhere in it.

Thanks again! Peace. :D
Posted 24 July 2012 at 02:13