Discussion Forum

My first deck EVER! Here it is, GREEN HEAT '13!

Check it out and please give constructive criticism. Keep in mind that this was my first deck. I took a lot of time to make sure all the cards would work out in almost any given situation (meaning, I can play them well together). It's more red based, but I've added a few big green guys in there. Lots of buffs, too! Please let me know what you think for a first timer.
As always it's Magic so I know that it can keep on getting bigger and better. Most of this was used with the 2013 core set. Actually, I think the whole thing was made with the core set. So I'm pretty proud of it.
Thanks again for all of your advice in my last thread...
Now onto the deck:
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=366099
Let me know what you think!
Posted 25 July 2012 at 02:36

so many 1x and 2x creatures...it will be like russian roulette with this deck on what you draw :)

also, no searing spears? no mark of mutiny?

I don't see a ton of synergy in this deck...

anyway, R/G has TONS of great possibilities in m13...I would say you need to pick a theme...tough to call this a 'heat' deck with so little burn...
Posted 25 July 2012 at 04:22

Yeah, I kind of wanted to make it a tad roulette-ish to keep the opponent guessing as to what is going to happen. I do need to probably tone it down though lol. And as for a name, what's a good idea? I just randomly thought of it and I'm not too happy with it myself lol. And good ideas on Searing Spears and Mark of Mutiny. I'm going to keep my eyes open for those! It's just that right now, I'm at the mercy of what the cheaper booster packs give me (I'm budgeted).
Posted 25 July 2012 at 05:58

First off, let me say that nothing I'm about to say is meant to insult whatsoever. Just trying to give some constructive(pun intended) criticism.

The deck seems a bit chaotic, and I couldn't really see any kind of real theme.

Some tips:
--------------------------------
If it's your first deck, you might want to stick to a single color to avoid any kind of mana drought. Artifacts are ok to throw in the mix as well since they are colorless.

For just playing casually around the kitchen table with friends it's fine since you're just having fun and you can tweak it later(as all decks need a little bit of tweaking when first put together), but if you go to Friday Night Magic with this deck it's going to get owned every time.

When playing against other experienced players it's not enough to have a deck full of decent to good cards. You need to make sure(as much as possible) that all of the cards in your deck work TOGETHER around some kind of strategy(for example, if you have cards that pump up your creatures it would be a good idea to use creatures with life-link or that have a tap ability of doing direct damage, etc). Never have your cards work alone if you can help it. That way you get the maximum benefit possible from your deck. However when you do work up your deck around a specific strategy, don't have your entire deck rely on a single card as it's lynch-pin as you may never draw it.

If you're budgeted like many players(including myself) these days, try shopping for singles on the web. While some REALLY rare and powerful cards will still go for $10+, you can still get most cards for around $0.10-$0.25 cents a piece. You can buy ONLY the cards you want/need and don't have to worry about spending money on tons and tons of cards you will never use.

http://www.mtgfanatic.com/store/magic/

-and-

http://www.abugames.com/

These are the places I use. Their prices are fair, and if one place doesn't have the card you want, the other place almost certainly will. Really though you only have to worry about cards being out of stock if they're the really rare/powerful one's that are currently popular with the truly HARDCORE players for building certain decks. Like "Sublime Archangel" for Exalted decks for example.

Hope this might help some. Have a good one. :D
Posted 25 July 2012 at 07:41

concerning places to score cards on the cheap...

I suggest TCG....they are linked to multiple online shops and have always had the most competitive prices around, imo:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/

have fun building your deck!
Posted 25 July 2012 at 12:37

Thank you guys for all of that advice! I'll definately have to try that. I think for now I'm going to copy one of the bigger, more favorited decks on here, and then modify it a touch. Thanks again for the constructive criticisms! It helps me understand the art of building a deck, which is an art in itself.
Posted 25 July 2012 at 15:09

Don't give up on brewing too soon.

I think it is important to understand that there are some very competitive decks at most FNM's and it is not unusual to lose- I've lost a lot of FNM matches. I think most people do not want you to get your hopes too high.

A few things about your deck: Bladetusk Boar is not quite as good as Heirs of Stromkirk. I use both in my red decks, but that's because of the 4 card limit. If I can only use one, I'd go with Heirs of Stromkirk. If all you have is Bladetusk Boar that's a good card though and in a dual color deck it is probably easier to get into play.

It looks like you were maybe going to use Roaring Primadox and Garrucks Packleader to try to bounce creatures and draw your deck. It seems a kind of expensive way to draw cards from the casting perspective. You might want to consider Acidic Slime over Fire Elemental though. It might help you deal with more of your opponents threats. Also, you might consider replacing your Reckless Brutes.

Okay here are my off the wall suggestions:

I think looking at the Green/Red theme in M13, I'd probably creature it a bit more:

x4 Timberpack Wolf
x3 Acidic Slime
x3 Deadly Recluse
x3 Roaring Primadox
x3 Mindclaw Shaman
x3 Bladetusk Boar
x4 Arbor Elf

Using Roaring Primadox with Acidic Slime/Mindclaw Shaman could create some interesting interactions. Looks like Bond Beetle is also a popular bounce.

Deadly recluse means you won't need Serpent's gift. Arbor Elfs will help a bit with the mana curve. which is a bit higher than I like. (Prefer Llanowar Elves, but Arbor Elves are M13).

Titanic Growth looks better than Kindled Fury or Trumpet Blast.

x4 Titanic Growth
x3 Cleaver Riot
x2 Volcanic Geyser
x2 Searing Spear

And of course, I like Elixir of Immortality, but suit yourself.

x2 Elixir of Immortality

And then 24 lands of your choice.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=366620

This is, of course, completely speculative as I have no idea how that deck would work in practice- especially at an FNM. Just giving you some cheap design ideas based on some of the cards you have.

Maybe use a Cleaver Riot with a Titanic Growth on a Bladetusk Boar? That would require 7 mana or 5 mana with 2 arbor elves working two forests and helping out. Unblocked, it would do like 14 damage in one turn though...

I recently built a deck I thought would be very good with nothing over 4 mana cost and every card was designed to support the other cards. It was mono-blue. It failed miserably.

Best way to learn if a deck works is to play-test it. You'll never really know until you try it.

Anyway, good luck to you.
Posted 25 July 2012 at 19:29