Discussion Forum

Deck Challenge: 2013 Mana Ramp

I would like to see how good of a :managu: mana ramp deck could be made by using only cards from the Magic 2013 Core Set. I just started playing Magic within the past month (my first cards were a :manabg: 2013 intro pack on the day of release), and I have a lot of :manau: and :manag: cards from the 2013 set. A lot of them look like they'd be pretty good in a ramp deck, such as Arbor Elf, Farseek, Ranger's Path, Boundless Realms, Bountiful Harvest, and Divination. I also have some decent creatures for a deck like this, such as Stormtide Leviathan, Sphinx of Uthuun, Harbor Serpent, Duskdale Wurm, Vastwood Gorger, and Primordial Hydra. I am also planning to buy a Garruk, Primal Hunter soon, and that sounds like it would be the perfect planeswalker for a ramp deck (especially the 3rd ability). So I was wondering how good of a ramp deck could be made from the 2013 cards, and then maybe I would have all the cards needed.
Posted 04 August 2012 at 18:40

Here is a deck that I think would work really well and be fun to play with what you said you wanted to use.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=370587

I wouldn't use the Primo Hydra with Gurrak Primal Hunter because you might actually be drawing to many cards which might not work out.. But its up to you

Also as much as I love the Stormtide Leviathan I wouldn't use it with green cards because no green cards have Island walk and few have flying so alot of your best creatures wouldn't be able to attack... Though if u can use it, it's kind of a game ender.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted 04 August 2012 at 20:48

[QUOTE=Krazzy388]Here is a deck that I think would work really well and be fun to play with what you said you wanted to use.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=370587

I wouldn't use the Primo Hydra with Gurrak Primal Hunter because you might actually be drawing to many cards which might not work out.. But its up to you

Also as much as I love the Stormtide Leviathan I wouldn't use it with green cards because no green cards have Island walk and few have flying so alot of your best creatures wouldn't be able to attack... Though if u can use it, it's kind of a game ender.

Good luck and have fun.[/QUOTE]

This looks like a pretty good deck, except for a couple things:

1) A sideboard can only have 15 cards, yours has 22
2) I would like to keep the deck 60 cards, in order to get the really good creatures more often
3) It doesn't really have much for large creatures. It has 2 Sphinx of Uthuun and 4 Primordial Hydra. I would prefer more of them and less cards like Elvish Visionary and Augor of Bolas.
Posted 04 August 2012 at 21:05

I am actually running green Ramp right now, here's what I'm rocking:

Mono Green Ramp

Yeah some of it is Dark Ascension, but you can still find some of that and if you can't, replace what is there.

But if you absolutely have to have blue / green ramp, here is another idea:

Blue Green Ramp

That one is strictly M13. Value comes out at about 20$ mid, so it's a pretty cheap deck too. Guaranteed to not completely suck, but it definitely needs some card draw. Suppose you could Garruk or Tamiyo.
Posted 05 August 2012 at 00:36

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=372281

This is the deck that I think you would benefit most from the cards that you have. Sphinx is nice but your not running Snap caster or Re-animator so he would hurt you more then help you. You have enough to get in and win and enough draw to constantly get what you need. And its under 50 dollars so its relatively cheap and can win.
Posted 08 August 2012 at 21:51