Discussion Forum

Cascade into counterspell

If I play a spell like Ardent Plea and cascade into a card like Hindering Light does the counterspell ability simply fizzle and I can still draw a card or since the counterspell doesn't have a target whatsoever is it immediately put into my graveyard and I don't get to draw a card?
Posted 06 August 2012 at 15:50

[QUOTE=Mcholypotato]If I play a spell like Ardent Plea and cascade into a card like Hindering Light does the counterspell ability simply fizzle[/quote]

Since you can' cast Hindering Light [no legal targets] it will be put on the bottom of your library with the other uncast cards from Cascade.

[quote] and I can still draw a card or since the counterspell doesn't have a target whatsoever is it immediately put into my graveyard and I don't get to draw a card?[/QUOTE]

If you were able to cast it, and the target becomes illegal afterwards, then since all the targets are now illegal the spell will "fizzle". This term, fizzle, is shorthand for the spell being countered by the rules for having all targets illegal on resolution. A countered spell has none of its effects ocurr, and so you will not draw a card.

You cannot cast a card like say doom blade, without any legal targets [essentially you cannot illegally cast a card.]
Posted 06 August 2012 at 17:58

Thanks for the info!
Posted 06 August 2012 at 20:17