Discussion Forum

challenge

build a lock down deck and you cant use artifacts blue or white cards good luck
Posted 23 August 2012 at 15:56

I'm having some trouble with this one. Stalling and locking are blue's thing. I can't even think of a nonblue, nonwhite, nonartifact that could replicate the effect.
Posted 24 August 2012 at 15:47

Without artifacts, blue, or white... I think the closest you could come to mimicing the Lockdown style would be Pox/Stax type black deck.

Just my 2 cents. Can't think of anything else.
Posted 24 August 2012 at 17:08

Quite an interesting Challenge...

Strategy:

Get Walls out as soon as possible, Then all the enchantments you can. Hissing Miasma and Circle of Flame deals decent damage to the enemy and his creatures, which is then amped up considerably by the Enchantments. If it all goes well, eventualy the enemy will be taking 4 damage from 4 hissing miasmas, which will then be doubled by Furnace of Rath, then again by Curse Of Bloodletting. So for each creature that attacks me, Its controller takes 16 Damage.

To keep safe, i found as many regenerating walls as i could, Plus Wall Of Souls so that whatever damage is done to my it, its done back to the enemy, possibly X4. Wall of Razors has First Strike, and that can also be doubled to make it very dangerous indeed. Goblin Snowman can take any amount of damage, plus it can be paid into to deal damage back, when again can be doubled.

Deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=378283

So its not REALLY lockdown, it doesnt prevent the enemy from attacking, but it does really seriously make him not want to. Will this work?
Posted 24 August 2012 at 19:46

aqigloblam - its a interesting deck. And its possible with the 3 colors even though you only need black ( lockdown some1 hand so they cant do anything and kill whatever they get on the field ) its possible just got to think outside the box if i said only using green and or red then there's a problem (land destruction also counts as lockdown ) ;)
Posted 25 August 2012 at 01:57

Well then i guess i need a MTG Dictionary, I apparently dont understand the exact meaning of the word Lockdown....In my head the Definition was anything that kept the opponent from advancing his plans to kill you.

From that perspective, Does this deck at least work moderately ok?
Posted 25 August 2012 at 02:00

im not saying your deck wasnt a lockdown deck most of my comment was to the people who was saying that you really couldnt do it with these colors. now your deck does give a agro deck almost no option but to sit there and wait until your enchantments kill them which wont take very long at all and you can branch this off into a creatureless deck and have a field and hand control going on ( swap out creatures for discard cards and stuff like pyroclasm and other red field clearing spells ) :) as in yes this deck would work
Posted 25 August 2012 at 02:52

Hey as long as you, as the issuer of the challenge, consider it a Success...I couldnt be happier :)

Thanks for making me think on my toes big chief!
Posted 25 August 2012 at 09:07

Ok so i took your advice and tried turning it into a Creatureless Deck. Check it out http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=378469
Posted 25 August 2012 at 10:14

See, back in the day, green used to have all kinds of tempo-control elements that it doesn't get anymore.

Why not try out some "mono-green" control. You bounce all their lands until you're ahead, keep fogging to log them down, and eventually win by damage from their own lands or from Silvos. Good times!

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=254516
Posted 13 September 2012 at 21:03