Discussion Forum

Split second counterspell

I've been told this, but I was unsure if it was correct or not. Could you use a card with split second to counter a spell. As in if I try to play lets say tooth and nail, or lightning bolt and my opponent responds with playing angels grace or sudden shock. Since my spell was on the stack, does the split second spell counter it?
Posted 29 August 2012 at 13:27

Split second doesn't counter anything. A spell with split second must resolve and can't be responded to by playing additional spells or activate abilities (triggered abilities still work). Once it has resolved you can use the stack again and anything still on the stack will resolve as normal and can be responded to as normal.

For instance

Player1 casts Tooth and Nail
Player2 casts Sudden shock in response
Sudden Shock resolves
Player 3 responds to Tooth and Nail with twincast targetting Tooth and Nail
Players each pass priority and Twincast resolves
Player 2 responds to Tooth and Nail with Counterspell on Tooth and Nail
Players each pass priority and Counterspell resolves
Tooth and Nail is countered

:)
Posted 30 August 2012 at 07:12

hmmm that's interesting, thank you seth! Been wondering this since it's been played against me that split second counters spells, that changes things now =]

Though I've got one more question, similar to the first. I know it doesn't have split second but I've been told the same thing about silence. I believe this one more, will a silence counter a spell?
Posted 30 August 2012 at 12:54

No, silence does not counter spells

example

beginning of my turn

I cast Tarmogoyf and pass priority
You cast Silence in response and pass priority
I cast Brianstorm in response to silence and pass priority
You pass priority and we let the stack resolve

- Brainstorm resolves, I draw 3 cards and put 2 back
- At this point I can still respond to silence by playing another instant but lets say I dont.
- Silence resolves, now I can't play spells anymore but whatever is still on the stack will resolve.
- Tarmogoyf resolves and enters the field.
Posted 30 August 2012 at 16:53

This one i thought might be true, but wow it doesn't as well. Thank you for this clarification seth, it has helped me alot =p
Posted 30 August 2012 at 18:12

magic is pretty simple, just do as the card says, 99% of the time the cards are very clear and specific. Silence does't say it counters anything, neither does split second. Just follow the text and don't let people make stuff up that isn't on the card.
Posted 30 August 2012 at 20:44