Discussion Forum

legacy dreadstalker

here's my deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=381295

here's the primer: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?23239-UB-Tempo-(-Winner-of-18.02.2012-russian-legacy-champ)

and here's a list that won a gp in russia:http://thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=7741&iddeck=56326

the idea is to play a creature and protect him with enough disruption to keep your opponent off their game for a few turns and smash through for the win.
like the primer says, 2 creatures basically race anything, and because everything either has flying or trample, you cant get chumped.

i picked vision charm over torper orb because charm protects nought, give me a more consistant t2 nought, can fuel a t2 tombstalker, stop jitte from getting counters, act as a psuedo time walk changing land, and all sorts of neat tricks.

iv been playing alot of games against maverick and ub show and tell, and this deck is absolutely capable of kicking some fanny.
my real question is; merfolk.. theres a merfolk deck kickin around my local shops legacy sundays and i cant come up with a solid way to beat it. i threw ratchet bombs in the sideboard, but havent had a chance to test them.. in my head it seems like it might be able to sweep their lords or even blow up their aether vial but im not sure.

any suggestions or ideas?
Posted 02 September 2012 at 16:42

Merfolk excells at destroying combo decks and blue decks, if your decks is both you're in trouble. It's just a bad matchup, every deck has them.

Red is really strong against merfolk as you can run Red Elemental Blasts/Pyroblasts and Grim lavamancer. As you are only playing 2 colors dipping for a third color is still an option. Makes your landbase a lot more expensive and vulnerable ofcourse.

Another option is playing up to 4 Engineered Explosives. Umezawa's Jitte is also great.
Posted 02 September 2012 at 21:09

i think when it comes down to it, im just gonna try to land a dreadnought and smash. maybe ill try some explosives sb sometime, but it seems like too much trouble to change things just to handle 1 merfolk deck.

i played a game against my friends maverick deck, trying out ratchet bomb, and it was just waaaaaay to slow to help me in that match. basically thinking theres just not enough room for it.
some combination of massacre/perish/nausea is better against more things i'm worried about.
Posted 05 September 2012 at 06:02

Maverick should be a bad matchup too. They have lots of ways to deal with dreadnought and Thalia really fucks up your deck as it does with most decks. Hell I even hate a Thalia on the board when playing maverick and it's my Thalia :)

I just gave up on dreadnought, there are to many ways it can be dealt with and when dealt with it's card disadvantage, that and half of the time you can't even play it because you don't have stifle. Tombstalker and Delver are solid stuff though.
Posted 05 September 2012 at 06:59

i feel like the maverick matchup isnt so bad post board. i just take out dreadnought-charm-stifle and put in nausea-massacre-perish-reanimate.
your right about thalia though. its pretty much gg if she resolves, unless i have a snuffout like right away.
while dreadnought is one of the easiest to kill creatures around, he can really end games pronto if you can get him to stick. but overall its is pretty hit or miss.
Posted 06 September 2012 at 07:02

the owner of our local shop was out of town sunday so the legacy event didnt happen. but i played a few games against a u/r pyromancers ascension deck and didnt lose a game. his deck was fairly budget with pain lands and no force so it wasnt much of a victory, but none the less, this deck is sooo fun to play. hot dang.

cant wait to play this for real at the next event.
Posted 20 September 2012 at 02:24