Discussion Forum

Path to Exile

This isnt quite about the card Path to Exile but in this example I'll use it..

Say my opponent goes to attack me and after I choose what to block with I use Path to Exile on my own creature- would that occur before the combat happens and he gets to attack something else with his creature?

More or less asking if I can Path to Exile my own creature during a block and still have it block yet get to draw a card (since it would have died from blocking)

If I need to clear up anything let me know, still fairly new and only play casual with friends so if they tell me something I tend to believe it lol
Posted 07 September 2012 at 00:25

You get to draw a card if your creature dies from blocking? Which card is this?

Lets say it's Solemn Simulacrum.

Declare Attackers: Opponent attacks with a creature, say Centaur Courser

Declare Blockers: You block with Solemn Simulacrum or whatever. You cast Path to Exile on it. Solemn Simulacrum is exiled. Exiled is not died, you do not draw a card. Centaur Courser is blocked. It deals no combat damage unless it has Trample, in which case it is as if it wasn't blocked.

Combat Damage: The Courser deals no combat damage unless it has Trample, in which case it is as if it wasn't blocked.
Posted 07 September 2012 at 00:44

You get to draw a card if your creature dies from blocking? Which card is this?

Lets say it's Solemn Simulacrum.

Declare Attackers: Opponent attacks with a creature, say Centaur Courser

Declare Blockers: You block with Solemn Simulacrum or whatever. You cast Path to Exile on it. Solemn Simulacrum is exiled. You put a land from your library onto the battlefield tapped. Exiled is not died, you do not draw a card. Centaur Courser is blocked. It deals no combat damage unless it has Trample, in which case it is as if it wasn't blocked.

Combat Damage: The Courser deals no combat damage unless it has Trample, in which case it is as if it wasn't blocked.
Posted 07 September 2012 at 00:45

I'm saying if I use this.. http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/conflux/wyfb3w3ii_EN.jpg

During the combat phase, and I remove my own creature.. does the removal happen before the combat phase? Aka it gets removed and not killed from blocking.

And if it gets removed- what happens to that attacking creature? Do I have to block with something else
Posted 07 September 2012 at 01:16

racky54 replied to what you ask you just don't seem to understand his reply

- Creature X attacks
- You block with creature Y
- before combat damage resolves you play path to exile on creature Y, exiling it and fetching yourself a land and putting it into play tapped.
- Combat damage resolves
- Creature X is still concidered as being blocked and unless it has Trample it deals no combat damage.
- If creature X has trample it deals its full power in damage to you (the player)

that's it
Posted 07 September 2012 at 07:20

So more or less I could do that, unless its a trample creature because I'd get taken for the full damage. Alright, thanks
Posted 07 September 2012 at 14:08