Discussion Forum

black cheap burn: mana pool and sideboard

I've got two main problems with my deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=386035

1 - Average CMC is pretty low, so I was thinking that maybe I could put in the deck less than 24 lands, maybe 22 or even 20. I would prefer a mathematic answer cause I made this deck using excel. However an experience answer will be accepted too. Is there some math book about mana?

2 - It doesn't have a sideboard. I don't really get how it works (how can you put the sideboard cards in the deck if you don't know who are you going to play with?) and I don't really know how to make one. Could someone make an analysis of the weakness of this deck? Against which kind of decks I could easily lose? And could you also give me some card advice? I'm a beginner and I'm not able to understand the whole thing.

Thanks!
Posted 20 September 2012 at 13:29

As long as you don't play tournaments you don't need a sideboard. It's that simple. You already answered the reason why that is, you can't predict what people are going to play so why bother. Also in casual play people don't play in rounds where one plays best 2 out of 3.
In tournament play you have formats, each format has it's typical handfull of decks that have been proven to be the best the format has to offer. If you build with a tournament format in mind you arm yourself against those X best decks by building a 15 card sideboard that you are allowed to use to alter your deck in between games. A tournament round is always best 2 out of 3. Game 1 you play with your main board, games 2 and 3 you are allowed to sideboard.

As for your deck you'll probably get slaughtered if you take it to a Modern tournament. I say Modern because you posted under the Modern section of the board. In casual play you'll probably get slaughtered as well.

Here is the reason you'll loose to most decks:

- A powerfull mana cost 1 creature is awesome if you play it turn 1 on the play (on the draw you're a turn behind and it's already less good).
- Now that same mana cost 1 creature becomes increasingly worse every turn there after because the more mana people have the better creatures they can potentially play. For instance it's turn 5 and the battlefield is empty, you play a Pulse Tracker and your opponent plays a Baneslayer Angel. You both played a creature Turn 5 but his creature is so far beyond your creature in powerlevel your creature doesn't even matter.
- Another factor is that when you build on a low curve you'll run out of cards real fast. You start with 7, play land + 1 drop, you're at 5 cards. T2 you draw a card, play a land, play 2 1CC spells, you're at 3 cards. T3 you'll be out of cards and this is the turning point in a game. You with your fast deck where at your strongest the 3 first turns of the game because you just went all in when your opponent played maybe 1 or 2 spells.
But every turn after turn 3 you'll draw 1 card that is either a land which is very bad because it's like loosing a turn, or a low casting cost spell that gets worse the longer the game takes (see above).
A worst case scenario would be you empty your hand by turn 3, your opponent plays Firespout whiping everything you played away. He's at maybe 10 life and is holding several cards, you are holding no cards and you're at 20 life, guess who is going to win?
This is cardadvantage, the most important factor when playing magic.

Looking at some individual cards:

Maralen of the Mornsong: this card is an obvious trap, because you let your opponent search for his best card at that moment in his deck for only 3 life and at no additional cost. This is awesome. Tutors (cards that search cards) are among the most powerful cards ever printed and good tutors are usually banned for good reason in the formats they are legal in. Basically this card helps you loose real fast.

Taste of Blood: this is the perfect example of what I was talking about obove. This card is bad even if you play it turn 1 because by playing it you're one card down (=loosing the cardadvantage battle) and you get so little in return. Every turn after T1 the card becomes increasingly worse.

Bloodchief Ascension: this is probably the strongest card in your deck because it's a for of card advantage. It provides you with a lasting effect at no additional cost. Like a creature but without getting weaker every turn.

hope this gave you some insights in the game

cheers
Posted 21 September 2012 at 07:31

Wow thanks! I'm gonna elaborate this information about the cardadvantage, I never thought about this
Please, meanwhile can you check out the new look of the same deck? I changed around the 40% of the cards
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=386035
Posted 22 September 2012 at 18:42