Discussion Forum

Deck Challenge: Ancient Depths 2.0

I have always loved the deck Ancient Depths from DotP 2012, but I am always disappointed that it is no longer legal in standard format. This is where the deck challenge comes in. Some cards can still be used, such as Primeval Titan and Kraken Hatchling. Other cards can be replaced with very similar, some even the exact same worded cards, such as Skyshroud Claim being replaced by Ranger's Path. Yet other cards are totally different than any cards legal in standard, suck as Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. Your challenge is to make an updated Ancient Depths, as similar as humanly possible to the original. Also, feel free to use any cards from Return to Ravnica as well.

A link to the original Ancient Depths card list can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d12/decks
Posted 26 September 2012 at 04:43

[QUOTE=Onesome]I have always loved the deck Ancient Depths from DotP 2012, but I am always disappointed that it is no longer legal in standard[/QUOTE]

when was it ever legal in standard?

The solution seems obvious, don't play standard.
Posted 27 September 2012 at 11:01

[QUOTE=Seth]when was it ever legal in standard?

The solution seems obvious, don't play standard.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it wasn't ever legal in standard, but that's not the point. The point is if it's possible to make a deck just like it (or very similar) that IS legal in standard. All my friends play standard, and Friday Night Magic plays standard, so unless I want to play by myself, it needs to be legal in standard.
Posted 27 September 2012 at 22:24

So your friends throw their cards away after each rotation? That's just silly.

Also FNM is open to all formats, just tell the guy orgenizing the FNM to rotate between formats, which is way more fun. Over here we play legacy/modern/Commander/Limited Draft/Cube Draft/Pauper and Standard at FNM and it rotates every week.

If you want to rebuild decks in standard rebuild to an archetype, identify the deck you liked, classify it in an archtype category, and build a new deck that fits the category.

Ancient Depths looks like SolarFlare a reanimator style deck that tries to get unfair creatures into play fast, so look for

- Best Creatures
- tutors if there are any
- enablers: cards that put big creatures in the graveyard from either your hand or the library
- reanimation spells: cards that get the big creatures out of the yard and on to the field.
- alternate ways to cheat creatures into play (historically this used to be accelaration with signets)

I know dick about standard but with a little search:

reanimation spells: Unburial Rites
enablers: Liliana of the Veil, Forbidden Alchemy,
Creatures: Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Sun Titan, Grave Titan...

And I guess many of these will rotate soon so just stick to the archetype and try to fill in the slots
Posted 28 September 2012 at 11:23