Discussion Forum

Riders of Gavony and same ability cards

ability states:
"As Riders of Gavony enters the battlefield, choose a creature type."

"Human creatures you control have protection from creatures of the chosen type."

is it safe to assume that since it doesn't say the "as long as" quote that the chosen creature type that my humans have protection on will still be in effect even if Riders of Gavony dies or leaves the battlefield?

is it the same with pithing needle? phyrexian revoker? etc...?

thanks in advance :)
Posted 02 October 2012 at 19:20

The way it was explained to me it was for as long as riders was alive, but to me the wording suggests otherwise... And I think he told me that so he could not be stomped so hard.
Posted 02 October 2012 at 19:24

The Riders of Gavony have what's called a static ability. The ability itself is written as a statement, and it is just true as long as the card remains on the battlefield. Should the riders leave the battlefield, the ability leaves with it and ceases to work - The protection goes away.

It's the same logic that explains why a creature equipped with a bonesplitter ("Equipped creature gets +2/+0") doesn't get to keep the bonus if the equipment is moved or destroyed.

Hope this clears things up.
Posted 02 October 2012 at 21:51

what Cait_Sidhe says is correct
as for pithing needle and phyrexian revoker these only shut down activated abilities. Since this is a static ability pithing Needle and phyrexian revoker have no effect.
Posted 03 October 2012 at 11:19

@Cait_Sidhe - thanks for clearing that up :)

[QUOTE=Seth]what Cait_Sidhe says is correct
as for pithing needle and phyrexian revoker these only shut down activated abilities. Since this is a static ability pithing Needle and phyrexian revoker have no effect.[/QUOTE]

thanks as well but my question regarding pithing needle and phyrexian revoker is the same with the riders, not that will it effect the card... though i think Cait's answer also applies to the 2 cards as well?
Posted 04 October 2012 at 04:41