Discussion Forum

Need an Official Ruling to Convince my Friend - Triggered Ability

A friend of mine and I recently bought the Izzet vs Golgari duel decks and came up with a question. (He played Golgari, I played Izzet)

His Doomgape card has the triggered ability:
"At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature. You gain life equal to that creature's toughness."

(I don't know how to link or tag to cards yet)

The question is this, if he were to have two Doomgapes on the field at the same time, would he basically sacrifice two creatures?

I understand this to mean that each Doomgape's ability goes onto the stack separately and resolve independently of each other.
He understands them to happen at the same time and described it as "adding a rule to the game" which doesn't replicate no matter how many cards he has with that ability.

Like the topic says, I need an official ruling or he won't believe what's said no matter how experienced the player is.

Thank you :)
Posted 11 October 2012 at 01:27

well, you obviously have a far better understanding of the game then he does, all I can say is that he should listen to you. I'm no judge so I guess he won't believe me either but I am a tournament player with many years of experience if that worth anything.

It's like you say, every ability goes on the stack and resolves seperatly, if you have 2 doomgapes, each will trigger individually and 2 copies of the sacrifice a creature trigger are placed on the stack. They resolve and for each trigger a creature needs to be sacrificed. There's no way around it other then to stifle the ability.

you add links to cards by selecting the card name and then clicking the left most card icon in the text editor menu bar above the text area your typing in. this puts tags around the card
Posted 11 October 2012 at 07:27

Thank you for replying, and if nothing else I'll show him your response and see what happens.

Just to try this out... Doomgape
Posted 11 October 2012 at 13:18