Discussion Forum

Guttersnipe Question

So I have a guttersnipe and a Nizmagus elemental. I play a pillar of flame, but my opponent negates. Does guttersnipe still do 2 damage because my pillar entered the stack? In addition, could I sacrifice the pillar in response to the negate to pump my nivmagus? And would guttersnipe still do 2? Lots of confusion with this, help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 15 October 2012 at 23:31

this is how it works:

- you have priority and play pillar of flame which goes on the stack
- guttersnipe triggers and its ability goes on the stack
- you pass priority to resolve the stack
- your opponent plays negate targetting pillar of flame and passes priority
- you respond with Nivmagus Elemental exiling pillar of flame and pass priority
- your opponent doesn't react and lets the stack resolve

1. Nivmagus Elemental activated ability resolves, pillar of flame is already exiled as it was part of the activation cost and Nivmagus Elemental gets 2 +1/+1 counters.

2. negates fizzles (fails to resolve) because it no longer has a legal target

3. guttersnipes triggered ability resolves dealing 2 damage to each opponent
Posted 16 October 2012 at 08:28

[QUOTE=Seth]this is how it works:

- you have priority and play pillar of flame which goes on the stack
- guttersnipe triggers and its ability goes on the stack
- you pass priority to resolve the stack
- your opponent plays negate targetting pillar of flame and passes priority
- you respond with Nivmagus Elemental exiling pillar of flame and pass priority
- your opponent doesn't react and lets the stack resolve

1. Nivmagus Elemental activated ability resolves, pillar of flame is already exiled as it was part of the activation cost and Nivmagus Elemental gets 2 +1/+1 counters.

2. negates fizzles (fails to resolve) because it no longer has a legal target

3. guttersnipes triggered ability resolves dealing 2 damage to each opponent[/QUOTE]

So does this mean that even tho the spell is exiled by nivmagus elemental that guttersnipe still activates, would this same concept work with activating kiln fiends ability and exiling the spell and with cinder pyromancer. Would all their ability's activate too even when nivmagus exiles the spells.
Posted 20 October 2012 at 13:52

[QUOTE=Chewrida]So does this mean that even tho the spell is exiled by nivmagus elemental that guttersnipe still activates, would this same concept work with activating kiln fiends ability and exiling the spell and with cinder pyromancer. Would all their ability's activate too even when nivmagus exiles the spells.[/QUOTE]

Yes, since they trigger upon casting the spell, not upon resolution.
Posted 20 October 2012 at 18:45

That is awesome, I think I have a deck in mind for guttersnipe, kiln fiend, and cinder pyromancer! Thank you =]
Posted 20 October 2012 at 18:57

With the exception of spells that are being countered I don't see any situation where you would want to waste a card/spell just to put 2 counters on a creature. It's just not very strong. Also know that when you exile spells on the stack you exile the cards themselves, they do not go to the yard.
Posted 23 October 2012 at 08:31

[QUOTE=Seth]With the exception of spells that are being countered I don't see any situation where you would want to waste a card/spell just to put 2 counters on a creature. It's just not very strong. Also know that when you exile spells on the stack you exile the cards themselves, they do not go to the yard.[/QUOTE]

WEll yes it would be a very different and strange strategy, but i was thinking a deck loaded with one drop burn spells, put in guttersnipe, kiln fiend, and nivmagus elemental... Maybe a chandra spitfire. either let the burn go thru and buff kiln and damage with guttersnipe, or exile the 1 drop so its no big deal, buff nivmagus, kiln fiend, and guttersnipe damage, especially with assault strobe mixed in or cleaver riot....

haha I don't know, it's just an idea, seems fun to play with =p
Posted 23 October 2012 at 12:25