Discussion Forum

Recurring Nightmare brew

In response to a post by Recurring_Memories I felt like brewing a little nightmare deck of my own. It's more of a rebuild of something I played a while back and it's fun to play:

The deck has a lot of board control in the form of creature removal (Grave Pact, Fleshbag Marauder and Attrition) + land/enchantment/artifact removal provided by Acidic Slime.

Grisly Salvage and Harmonize let you find stuff and prevent the deck from getting low on cards. Eternal Witness solves the problem of Grisly Salvage ditching your enchantments and with nightmare provides a nice engine and staying power for the deck.

Contamination is an alt-win condition or at least heavy disruption for most decks when you have nightmare online. Deranged Hermit and Avenger of Zendikar provide lots of tokens to abuse.

Kokusho and Baloth provide some life gain.

For those interested Deck Stats says the deck should be under 140$ so its pretty cheap. So sleeve it up and have fun :)

4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
3 Wood Elves
2 Solemn Simulacrum
3 Acidic Slime
3 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Avenger of Zendikar
1 Primival Titan
1 Kokush the Evening Star
1 Deranged Hermit
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Eternal Witness

3 Grave Pact
3 Recurring Nightmare
1 Attrition
1 Contamination

4 Grisly Salvage
1 Buried Alive
3 Harmonize

1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Golgari Guildgate
5 Swamp
4 Twilight Mire
7 Forest

here is the deck in with mana stats etc...

Edit -> PS: I'm so used to playing with duals that I forgot that Woodelves is actually not that strong without some Bayou or Overgrown Tomb in the deck. You can switch it for Farhaven Elf so you can search for swamps as well.
Also the deck price can be lowered conciderably if you play it on a basics only landbase which will not be to bad with the 9 mana acceleration creatures in the deck.
Posted 06 November 2012 at 09:31

Looks like a pretty interesting deck. I'll definitely use it for some inspiration when I build my Black/Green deck; post Blue/Black of course.

I love Primeval Titan, especially since it's ANY 2 lands. Also, so much love for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

The titan plus Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger could be fun as well. Not required but the 2 extra mana every time the titans ability resolves opens up even more Recurring Nightmare shenanigans. Plus, it gives you a bit more board control in a multi-player game where you won't be able to keep every ones land base down.

Not trying to make changes to your deck; just things I might include in mine. I'll post once I have it sorted out and run it a bit to test.
Posted 09 November 2012 at 19:40