Discussion Forum

Green Control

Green is my favorite color (at least currently), but I also like running field control decks. The only problem is that whenever I have tried building a green control deck of my own, it always regresses into the ramp/trample style that green is known for. So here is the challenge: to build a monogreen field control deck (including but not limited to: tapping, destroying, or exiling the opponents' creatures). some cards to help you get off of the ground might be: beast within, prey upon, or winter blast.
Posted 23 November 2012 at 05:51

Yo do realize that each color has its strengths and weaknesses by design right? Green isn't supposed to be a control color, it has land destruction and removal for enchantments and artifacts as control options but those on their own are to narrow to be successful. If you want to use it as a control color you need to at least add a second color to the build.
Posted 10 December 2012 at 13:21

The only green control deck I know of is Turbo Fog, and that usually has more colors in it.
Posted 10 December 2012 at 21:34

An awesome green control card in my opinion is Plow Under, It basically lets you time walk in the right situation.
Posted 11 December 2012 at 09:29

You can always play control to Green's strengths and use artifacts to complement the control.

Green ramps better than anyone else which puts land destruction/denial as the "best" control option. (Storm Cauldron/Plow Under effects Paired with Azusa and friends) Add in Erratic Portal and any of the permanents that turn lands into creatures (so they cannot tap them the turn they come in and can be bounced by the portal) Use Vice effects as a win condition.
Posted 11 December 2012 at 14:14

http://www.mtgvault.com/alleywayjack/decks/mono-green-control/
Posted 16 January 2013 at 01:07

[QUOTE=Seth]Yo do realize that each color has its strengths and weaknesses by design right? Green isn't supposed to be a control color, it has land destruction and removal for enchantments and artifacts as control options but those on their own are to narrow to be successful. If you want to use it as a control color you need to at least add a second color to the build.[/QUOTE]

Ha! That's where we come in. There is potential control material in every color, just like you can build a Monoblue Burn deck.

The thing is - control is a strategy, an effect - not an engine. While you can't go around countering spells with most green cards, you can hold off the opponent's artifacts and enchantments, even lands, like no blue deck can. Thus, all you have to do is to focus on another type of control. alleywayjack gave us a brilliant example of how to control a game without trying to look like you're against the common control deck. Plow Under is a magnificent card indeed, but, then again, you have Arboria, Tangle and Bind.
Posted 17 January 2013 at 03:39

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Sylvan Library yet. if i was going to build green control i'd take a good look at legacy and see what i could do. from there also artifacts and planeswalkers can play a good role in these builds I.E. Garruk, Primal Hunter, Garruk Relentless so theres my advice
Posted 29 April 2013 at 06:03