Discussion Forum

Question about primal command

[quote]Choose two - Target player gains 7 life; or put target noncreature permanent on top of its owner's library; or target player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library; or search your library for a creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library[/quote]

I'm wondering about order here. Say I've got a Rhys in the graveyard and choose to shuffle my graveyard back into my library and search my library for a creature card to put into my hand. I'm pretty sure the graveyard recycle would not include the Primal Command I used to do that originally, but would I be able to use the search on the Rhys that was in the now-recycled graveyard to begin with?

Either nobody's thought of this yet, or it's incredibly obvious and I'm just overlooking it because I can't find anyone else who asked the same question and Wizards lists no rulings.
Posted 25 December 2009 at 16:50

You follow card's effects in order that they're listed; Primal Command was purposely worded to allow you to be able to reshuffle a dead creature into your library and tutor it up.

You're right about the Primal Command not being reshuffled as well. The Command is on the stack as the card's effects take place, not in the grave yet.
Posted 25 December 2009 at 23:57

Thanks, I was hoping they were being sneaky/obvious like that but I wasn't sure and didn't want someone calling shenanigans (rules, not boggart) on me when I was trying to pull Rhys out of my ass.
Posted 26 December 2009 at 00:52