Discussion Forum

First Deck

Hey, just started playing magic a few weeks ago and it has quickly become my favorite card game of all time. not to mention one of my favorite activities overall. I have just purchased some cards to create a solid baseline for a casual deck, this is my first attempt and i would greatly appreciate some help getting it to 60 cards. if you have any suggestions or advice for me i would be more than happy to discuss possible modifications.

:manab:vamp

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=417126
Posted 26 December 2012 at 23:50

for a beginners deck it doesn't look to bad

here's some guidelines to help you make it better:

- You should stick to a 60 card mainboard when you're new. It makes calculating stuff easier for people and you'lle get more (positive) response. 60 cards is the minimum allowed number of cards in a deck and is optimal for 1 on 1 liniar strategies which your deck is aimed at.

- You should try to optimize your mana use. This can be done by making a mana curve. You can read the mana curve of your deck in the deckbuilder or create a curve with your actual cards by ordering them by casting cost. The curve should be smooth, you play an aggro deck so you should have a lot of 1 and 2 drops, followed by some 3 and 4 drops. 11 4 drops seems a bit much.

- you should find a good balance between creatures and spot removal (cards that get rid of your opponents creatures so that you can get damage in.

- you should have cards that draw extra cards like sign in blood. Card advantage is the most important thing in the game. When you run out of cards you loose the game.

- sideboards are for tournaments, if you're new they don't really matter. I would not bother with a sideboard if I were you.
Posted 27 December 2012 at 08:55