Discussion Forum

Second deck attempt

Made this and i would appreciate some input for seasoned players, thanks.
:manab:vamp
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=417288
Posted 27 December 2012 at 14:58

yeah, I already replied to your other post in the modern section, why do you split this up in multiple posts? I already deleted your previous double post and send you a message about it??

anyway here's my spin on your vampire deck

1x Blade of the Bloodchief

3x Kalastria Highborn
4x Guul Draz Vampire
4x Bloodghast
3x Gatekeeper of Malakir
4x Captivating Vampire
1x Bloodline Keeper
3x Vampire Nocturnus
2x Vampire Nighthawk

23x Swamp

1x Grim Discovery
1x Go for the Throat
4x Sign In Blood
4x Disfigure
2x Urge to Feed

Watch out for cards like Feast of Blood. They are a trap for new players. A card like that doesn't help you out of a bad situation where you have no creatures in play. It only improves an already good board position. You have think worst case scenario. An opponent playing Damnation for instance.
Posted 27 December 2012 at 15:43

The only vampire deck I run is pure red so black vamps aren't really my area for knowing what works the best, but I'll give you my opinion at least =p

I agree with seth that feast of blood can go and leave room for a better add, same thing for vampire hexmage, I never liked playing that card in a main deck, more of a sideboard card in my opinion....

If you want to speed the deck up at all adding dark ritual is always a good idea..
Posted 27 December 2012 at 16:34

@Chewrida: I left out some legacy stuff like Dark Ritual from my build as his deck is modern legal and he started out posting this in the modern section of the board. Not sure where he wants to take it.
In legacy I always liked the idea of Buried alive into 3xBloodghast. Kalastria Highborn always seemed like a strong card to me as well. In a legacy version I would probably play Hexmage+Dark Depths combo.

I do like the idea of red in the deck even if it is for lightning bolt alone. I don't know what good red vampires they printed lately so maybe a BR version is a good way to go.
Posted 27 December 2012 at 17:10

[QUOTE=Seth]@Chewrida: I left out some legacy stuff like Dark Ritual from my build as his deck is modern legal and he started out posting this in the modern section of the board. Not sure where he wants to take it.
In legacy I always liked the idea of Buried alive into 3xBloodghast. Kalastria Highborn always seemed like a strong card to me as well. In a legacy version I would probably play Hexmage+Dark Depths combo.

I do like the idea of red in the deck even if it is for lightning bolt alone. I don't know what good red vampires they printed lately so maybe a BR version is a good way to go.[/QUOTE]

I gotcha, if it's modern he'll sadly miss out on the dark ritual action, if he plans to go legacy then 4 dark rits all the way, unless the people he plays aren't extremely competitive which might be the case. I like the buried alive with bloodghast, actually never associated buried alive with anything other than reanimator decks.

Yea if he puts some dark depths in then definitely keep the hexmages, that's a very scary combo, not a vampire, but at that moment who really cares haha....

Well Red is my favorite color to use, i feel i build better in that color and with the release of all the red vamps I had to build one, its actually really really fast.
The black/red vampires are very powerful and I strongly suggest throwing red into your deck lando... And as seth said, you can't beat lightning bolt, it's too useful.

If you wanted seth, check out the pure red vamp deck I made, I think it's a good deck to tell you the truth, It's probably missing some things but it's very fast and pretty powerful. At least in my eyes.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=353549
Posted 27 December 2012 at 18:44

That looks like a very well designed deck Chewrida, nice and fast with enough control to clear the way. I like it.

A RB version might work but without fetchlands and dual lands playing those fast one drops T1 might become a problem. In the black version of the deck there's also a lot of cards costing :manab::manab: making the mix more problematic. Vampires Nocturnus looses his potential and Kalastria Highborn becomes more difficult to trigger.

Back when Bloodghast was printed a friend of mine played BR vampires with Blightning and Lightning Bolt. That was a good deck and it performed ok in standard at the time despite it being a complete rogue homebrew. He even took it to GP Brussels back then, he didn't do to well though :)
Posted 28 December 2012 at 09:29

Thank you, I really like playing with that deck...

But for a b/r vamp deck to really work, pretty much all the lands would have to be duels or fetch. All the worthwhile black vamps as you stated are 2 B or more and the red ones unless they are the ones like I have in my deck (the mono red) wont be too much of a problem because they usually just have 1 red in the cost or like stromkirk noble will only cost one red, so I think emphasis on black would do best with just a splash of red.

If he's going B/R stromkirk noble and olivia voldaren are the creatures that should be added with the red splash to it, Maybeeeeee make room for rakish heir, his ability is really cool for a vamp deck no matter the color... the majority of the vampires should otherwise be mono-black I would imagine. Unless he wants to take his deck more the direction i took mine then markov blademaster is ok, but you have to have stuff ready for him (like buffs or unblockables or removals) or he wont be too useful... Falkenrath marauders is a nice add tho in general if you happen to have room and the mana curve for him....

Blightning is amazing, thats a really effective way to control the board in a 1v1, remove a creature and takes a really good shot at their hand, thats cool, I haven't thought about that card, I knew it existed but kinda slipped my mind =p
Posted 29 December 2012 at 03:38

Blightning deals damage to player only. It's strong in addition to lightning bolt though as you get 8 shots at your opponents face to finish te game when aggro runs out of gas.
Posted 29 December 2012 at 08:59

So where's the guy who posted this? He posts the same deck twice in two sections of the board, then soon after he posts an update of the deck again starting a new thread and then we don't see him anymore? I don't get that?
Posted 29 December 2012 at 13:38

That's a good question, i was wondering this myself....People want advice and don't even look or respond when they get it finally
Posted 29 December 2012 at 16:49