Discussion Forum

Culling The Weak

Just wanting to make sure I use this card correctly. When I cast culling the weak I'm not limited to only sacrificing one creature correct? As in I can sacrifice 3 creatures and add 12 mana to my mana pool.

I would like some clarification on this, thanks!
Posted 08 January 2013 at 21:28

Sacrificing a creature is part of the cost of the card, you can't sacrifice multiple creatures as that would not be legal. If it was an enchantment then it would work but as it is an instant mana source you cast it once and pay the cost once.
Posted 09 January 2013 at 08:59

well this is sad to hear, but oh well, thanks for letting me know seth
Posted 09 January 2013 at 14:59

there's always Phyrexian Altar :) might require a few more critters to get your 12 mana though :)
Posted 09 January 2013 at 15:53

That's really cool! I really like the altar, I could make a gravecrawler deck that does the same thing as a myr retriever deck would do =] That's awesome ha
Posted 09 January 2013 at 16:40

This is one of those confusing issues brought on by poor templating. The : on the card makes it look like an activated ability (which a spell on the stack can't have) rather than an additional cost. The errata of the card helps clear it up.

That would be an amazingly broken card if it did work that way though...

If it were a repeatable effect, it would be worded like Reprocess or Scapeshift.
Posted 15 January 2013 at 10:39

Just as a little bit of an addendum to this, if you're ever confused about how a card works, especially if we're looking at old cards like that, check them out on Gatherer (as easy as clicking the card link) to see what the modern card text would be. Gatherer will translate that old gobbldegook into actual modern formatting, so it should make a little more sense. Feel free to keep asking questions about those cards though!
Posted 19 February 2013 at 01:11

well look who's back,

welcome back man!!!
Posted 19 February 2013 at 09:03

Howdy! So much for just sneaking back in I guess. Oh well, :P
Posted 19 February 2013 at 23:35

[QUOTE=NightLoki]Just as a little bit of an addendum to this, if you're ever confused about how a card works, especially if we're looking at old cards like that, check them out on Gatherer (as easy as clicking the card link) to see what the modern card text would be. Gatherer will translate that old gobbldegook into actual modern formatting, so it should make a little more sense. Feel free to keep asking questions about those cards though![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion and I appreciate the help you're willing to give =p
Posted 20 February 2013 at 06:35

[QUOTE=Chewrida]Thanks for the suggestion and I appreciate the help you're willing to give =p[/QUOTE]

Not a problem at all.
Posted 20 February 2013 at 23:40