Discussion Forum

More Forum Stuff

I know the site is mostly designed as a deck building utility, but I really think these forums could be utilized much more. The thing is, all the sections are here...format deck construction, contests, articles (my personal favorites come from racky54), etc...but they aren't really used too much. Forums are excellent ways to propose ideas, discuss cards, and share experience without your specific deck being found, especially when you don't even have/need a specific decklist for the topic.

Basically what I'm saying is it would be nice to see these forums pushed more, especially with all of the trouble put through to add card tagging and such. Maybe a tab at the top of the main vault screen instead of the small one at the bottom, or more incentive to head over here, like deck challenges and articles posted to the home screen or in tabs next to unloved/active/new decks would generate more site activity and interaction. Do what you will with these suggestions. They are obviously not necessary changes in my opinion, as you already have a very successful site model that I frequently visit, but they might contribute to more interaction among the entire community, and might give one-and-done users more of a reason to stay and chat. :)
Posted 24 January 2013 at 22:29

I have to agree with this.

Since the roll out of v3 the forums have been mostly dead. There hasn't been any new articles or challenges since they're no longer linked to the front page and the forum link is kind of an afterthought on the bottom of the page.
Posted 25 January 2013 at 11:40

Hey how can i change my username on MTGVault? I googled myself, and my decks came up as the top result. I'm a journalist, and I can't have that. I need my stories first.

Can I change my username?
Posted 25 January 2013 at 14:34

Not that I found...I'd mess around in the user cp tab a bit to make sure.
Posted 25 January 2013 at 18:33

[QUOTE=kelsoyaknow]Hey how can i change my username on MTGVault? I googled myself, and my decks came up as the top result. I'm a journalist, and I can't have that. I need my stories first.

Can I change my username?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how many decks you have, but you'll probably have to export and import all of your decks onto a new account, then delete them. It might be hard but deleting all your deck is the only way I know of. At least you can export as a text file and bulk import to keep the decks.
Posted 25 January 2013 at 23:31

I can change your username, I've sent you a PM.

Back on topic, I'm thinking long and hard about the forums, Do we keep them? Do we replace their functionality on vault itself? I don't really know tbh. If we keep them, I think there should be a tab for them at the top of the site and they would appear on a parchment page, just like you've never left vault at all.

I know a few people wanted forum integration, but honestly I don't really know what that means. The main site itself is effectively a forum, every deck is a new thread and discussion can take place underneath one. The only thing the site doesn't allow for is more general discussion. Question is, do we make the site allow this general discussion or do we port the forums over and have to deal with the two different user accounts?
Posted 27 January 2013 at 19:38

I love the idea of a general discussion section on the main site. Decks arent the only relevant things about magic (most relevant, but not the only relevant) that can be discussed. Prerelease stories, meta discussion, fan fiction, articles, single card discussion...all of it is relevant. A general discussion tab on the main site and a discontinuation of the forums might be the best way to go...
Posted 28 January 2013 at 04:38

[QUOTE=Gary]I can change your username, I've sent you a PM.

Back on topic, I'm thinking long and hard about the forums, Do we keep them? Do we replace their functionality on vault itself? I don't really know tbh. If we keep them, I think there should be a tab for them at the top of the site and they would appear on a parchment page, just like you've never left vault at all.

I know a few people wanted forum integration, but honestly I don't really know what that means. The main site itself is effectively a forum, every deck is a new thread and discussion can take place underneath one. The only thing the site doesn't allow for is more general discussion. Question is, do we make the site allow this general discussion or do we port the forums over and have to deal with the two different user accounts?[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the idea of replacing the functionality on vault but the "how" would be rather tricky.

Currently, it's somewhat difficult to keep track of your "active" conversations (within any decks) and it's impossible to PM anyone on the site. The old site handled this better but I know the current site is a work in progress and overall a nice improvement. It also has always seemed kind of counter intuitive and clunky to create "decks" for conversations.

It would probably be a good idea to do a bit of both. More "forum functionality" on the main site is great but still keeping a forum (with perhaps some site integration since "reputation" is a thing) for some of the forums is certainly good. Mainly articles, challenges, rules discussion and such seem better as actual "forums".

This is all just my opinion though.
Posted 28 January 2013 at 07:49

[QUOTE=Gary]
Back on topic, I'm thinking long and hard about the forums, Do we keep them? Do we replace their functionality on vault itself? I don't really know tbh. If we keep them, I think there should be a tab for them at the top of the site and they would appear on a parchment page, just like you've never left vault at all.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll have a difficult time rolling the current forum software into the main MtGVault site: vBulletin is just...well..."busy".

Maybe take a look at lighter software options (eg. Vanilla http://vanillaforums.org, open-source/PHP) with which you'd have better success--or at least less hassle--skinning the app and sharing user accounts (read: single login) between it and MtGVault-proper.
Posted 30 January 2013 at 13:51

Just as an FYI, we've put a link at the top of the site now. We've talked about integrating it more so, but think we need to sort notifications first :)
Posted 15 February 2013 at 10:11