Discussion Forum

seething song banned?!

they banned seething song? whaat? why would they do that?

why ban bloodbraid elf to balance out the format again.. and then ban one of the main enablers of most of moderns combo decks. they already banned right of flame, ponder, and preordain from storm.. now their taking seething song also.

this is getting a little ridiculous. the best part about magic is the endless possibilities. standard, and now modern are essentially just aggro/mid-range formats at this point. true tempo decks, combo decks, and other unorthodox tactics like, lands, and prison just arent possible anymore. i don't understand why they would do this, and it deeply upsets me.

anybody else have any thoughts or opinions on the subject??
Posted 03 February 2013 at 22:21

If a deck is too dominant or too fast, they will ban something to slow down the archetype.

Modern is still a new format. The banned list will be going through several iterations until they find a sweet spot and then it will be rare to see anything banned.
Posted 04 February 2013 at 07:04

jund too dominant. sure. but storm? come on. this upsets me so much. wizards is literally making anything that's not a creature deck, not possible.

exarch twin is a much more consistent combo deck than storm. and eggs, infect, hexproof enchantments can all win t3.

so why ban seething song? because people don't like to play against storm? playing against eggs when they're going off takes even longer than storm!

also, they ALREADY banned ponder, preordain, rite of flame, and chrome mox from storm.. storm isnt even a top deck. when is the last time you've seen storm win an event???

however it is, or well.. was one of my favorite decks to play in the format. turning guys sideways just doesn't do it for me.

theres no room for players like me in modern i guess.. haven't felt more disappointed in a long time.
Posted 04 February 2013 at 08:17

"Wizards employees think that the game should only be about creature combat. Im convinced that eventually, they will devolve it into some version of Pokemon with the only difference being that when creatures die, you dont lose all the mana you attached to it." - Some kid named Tim on another forum.
Posted 04 February 2013 at 08:18

In other words, you're butthurt that your combo deck got gimped.

Storm was the #2 deck by a far larger margin than any other deck. Jund was obviously #1. Bofh of them took a hit to help achieve balance.

They haven't "killed" combo or made it a combat only game. The sky is not falling. They are balancing the format. If you weren't so attached to your deck, you would likely see it as a good thing. If they jumped the gun on this ban, it will be rescinded in three months like what happened with Valakut (which is another competitive COMBO deck in scapeshift).

Modern is a new format. It is also Wizards best chance at a balanced, diverse format so they are being extremely careful about it. It's entirely possible the Seething Song ban was a knee jerk reaction but it doesn't kill the deck or archetype, it merely slows it down to be more reasonable and force you to interact with your opponent.
Posted 04 February 2013 at 10:19

"In other words, you're butthurt that your combo deck got gimped."

yup.. pretty much. it makes me sad :(

however i don't think it was the number 2 deck. it was a good deck but there's so much hate for it, it wasn't played that often. if you look at mtgtop8 jund is 25% of the metagame! literally 1/4 of the meta. storm is 5%.. 1/20 of the meta.. so i really don't see much justification there. in no way was storm
"dominating" the format.
Posted 05 February 2013 at 06:15

Seething Song was banned because it allowed Storm to win on turn 3, which is not where WotC wants Modern to be.

I disagree with Storm being the number 2 deck however, I would say that is Robots.
Posted 06 February 2013 at 02:08

[QUOTE=racky54]I disagree with Storm being the number 2 deck however, I would say that is Robots.[/QUOTE]

They posted the statistics in the ban announcement... You're welcome to disagree but there's not much use arguing against facts provided by the DCI.
Posted 06 February 2013 at 06:43

"Seething Song was banned because it allowed Storm to win on turn 3, which is not where WotC wants Modern to be."

eggs, infect, hexproof enchantments, affinity, grislebrand reanimator, can all win t3.

"They posted the statistics in the ban announcement... You're welcome to disagree but there's not much use arguing against facts provided by the DCI."

those are the stats for MAGIC ONLINE. that hardly represents what the real meta looks like.
Posted 06 February 2013 at 13:51

[QUOTE=alleywayjack]"Seething Song was banned because it allowed Storm to win on turn 3, which is not where WotC wants Modern to be."

eggs, infect, hexproof enchantments, affinity, grislebrand reanimator, can all win t3.

"They posted the statistics in the ban announcement... You're welcome to disagree but there's not much use arguing against facts provided by the DCI."

those are the stats for MAGIC ONLINE. that hardly represents what the real meta looks like.[/QUOTE]

Possible turn 3 and reliable turn 3 are entirely different things. Storm was the most reliable turn 3.

I'm pretty sure they noted stats for both paper and online but either way, online is a "real meta", it might not be as big as the other but a lot of the big tournament players practice online before building the paper deck for tournaments.
Posted 06 February 2013 at 14:30

most tournament players use cockatrice to test for upcoming events because paying for virtual cards makes no sense.

honestly though, i give up this fight. im moving on. time to play some legacy storm >: D
Posted 06 February 2013 at 19:43

Welcome to Legacy! We have milk and cookies, but there's a shortage of chairs...
Posted 07 February 2013 at 01:16