Discussion Forum

sunny side up - modern eggs

well since seething song got banned iv been trying to find a deck to play in modern. i was having fun with an esper death's shadow list, but when it comes down to it, i prefer playing combo. i love non-interactive degenerate combo decks, and modern eggs happens to fit the bill pretty great.

there has been a couple different iterations of eggs throughout legacy and moderns history. a player named Stanislav Cifka proved eggs can be a force to be reckoned with in modern by going an astonishing 14-0 at the pro tour RTR

the list im running is almost identical to Cifka's list, except i made 2 small changes. the 1st im running 1 noxious revival over a gitaxian probe. and the second is, im running 3 wargate in place of sleight of hand.

wargate is some seriously secret tech. i cant understand how people haven't picked up on this yet. to be blunt.. wargate is flippin insane.

to get the combo starting you need at least 1 lotus bloom, but honestly to really get going you need 2. running 11 lotus blooms makes the deck insanely more consistent.
--

here what my list is currently looking like

http://www.mtgvault.com/alleywayjack/decks/modern-eggs/
--
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Conjurer's Bauble
3 Elsewhere Flask
4 Lotus Bloom
1 Pyrite Spellbomb

4 Faith's Reward
4 Second Sunrise
1 Noxious Revival

4 Reshape
3 Wargate
4 Serum Visions

3 Silence
--
1 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
6 Island
1 Plains
4 Ghost Quarter
--
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Laboratory Maniac
SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 3 Echoing Truth
SB: 2 Holy Day
SB: 1 Silence
SB: 2 Wipe Away
--

eggs is a pretty complex deck to pilot. basically what your trying to do is play some eggs(chromatic sphere/chromatic star, conjurer's bauble, elsewhere flask) in the first couple of turns. and if you can, get a lotus bloom online.

then when your ready to go off, tap your lands for mana, then ghost quarter them off for more lands, and tap those. then cycle all that mana through your eggs and sac off all your artifacts.

after everything is in the graveyard play second sunrise or faith's reward and do it all again. slowly youll start to net extra mana and draw through your entire deck.

you can use wargate, or you can play reshape for 0 to grab a lotus bloom. you can consistently generate large amounts of mana by cycling lotus blooms, fetchlands, and ghostquarters everytime you second sunrise/faith's reward

use conjurer's bauble to put second sunrises, or anything else you need back into your library.

you win by looping pyrite spellbomb, with conjurer's bauble and second sunrise/faith's reward

its kind of hard to explain, but after you have drawn your entire library( which happens by looping your eggs with second sunrise/ faith's reward) you can sac off 2 lotus blooms. play and sac a pyrite spellbomb. sac your conjurer's bauble to put second sunrise/ faith's reward back into your hand( because you have nothing in your library it goes to the top of the library then into your hand. you then play second sunrise/ faith's reward and get back 2 lotus bloom, pyrite spellbomb, and conjurer's bauble. do that 9 more times and win.
Posted 12 February 2013 at 01:11

I've never played this myself but I heard it's kind of insanely difficult to play and not guaranteed to succeed when you go off. Is it better positioned in modern because I've never run into it in legacy? For a cheap deck that's suprising unless it's unplayable. Other cheap decks like affinity and burn are all over the place.

I'm guessing you really need that silence to survive a deck that runs counterspells?

Can you survive aggressive decks that run hand disruption (like thoughtseize and the likes)

It's an interesting concept I give you that

(sounds a bit like my own secret desire to play Cephalid breakfast even though I know it's just bad, not saying yours is bad, just reminds me of how hard I wish cephalid breakfast was playable in legacy)
Posted 12 February 2013 at 15:41

yeah, ive never met anyone in person who plays eggs in legacy. but i have ran into it online. i cant seem to find a great list online, but i did manage to pull this off a forum.
------------------------------
Legacy Eggs-

Lands (15 cards)
4 City of Traitors
4 Crystal Vein
4 Ancient Tomb
1 Barbarian Ring
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Archaeological Dig
Engine (8 cards)
4 Second Sunrise
4 Faith's Reward
E-gg-s (24 cards)
4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Sungrass Egg
4 Skycloud Egg
4 Mossfire Egg
Mana / Utility (13 cards)
4 Lotus Petal
4 Crop Rotation
4 Edge of Autumn
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
Sideboard (15 cards)
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Silence
3 Chain of Vapor
3 Echoing Truth
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Bojuka Bog
------------------------------
i feel like its just not played in legacy more often because a) no one knows about it and b) its not really competitive enough for legacy.

there is no force of will, or daze in modern. and your not getting run over by aggro in 3 turns or losing to combo insanely fast either. i am definitely under the impression that modern is where eggs wants to be.

your correct about silence. but its not bad g1 against non blue decks either. you can use it as a psuedo timewalk to give your lotus bloom a turn to CiP from suspension. but it occasionally will get sided out depending on what im playing against.

aggro isnt too much of a problem as long as they cant win in the first 4-5 turns. usually siding in a lil bit of bounce or holy day gives you just enough time go off.

leyline is in the side for heavy discard/burn/jund/whatever else

the older eggs decks did have a problem of fizzling mid combo. but the original eggs deck only ran 4 second sunrise and 4 noxious revival+ reclaim to get it back. the printing of faith's reward made the deck incredibly more consistent. and like i mentioned in the original post, wargate is the truth. one of the main reasons the older eggs lists would fizzle was an inability to get 2 lotus blooms cycling and just running out of mana. now that faith's reward and wargate have found their way into the deck, both major issues have been resolved

another thing i forgot to mention is this deck takes a loooong time to play. the fastest iv been able to get through the entire combo goldfishing on cockatrice was 18 minutes. usually its easily 20+ to get through your entire deck and cycle pyrite spellbomb 10 times. . im sure you can run through it faster in real life, but that's probably a major reason why people dont play the deck. it takes fooreeeever, and there tons of things to keep track of. i can imagine playing a larger tournament with this deck seriously racking your brain.
Posted 13 February 2013 at 04:24

Man, now I feel like building it, don't know how many second sunrises I have lying about and I don't have that new card (but its only 1.5$) but the rest I'm pretty sure I have.

That said, I have played a total of 2 EDH sessions this year and that's it, I kindo' officially quit magic (aside from the occasional social factor as my friends are mostly magic players) so I could put more time into my drawing/painting skills which now take up 100% of my free time. I get up at 6, draw for an hour, drive the kids to school, go to work, get home draw or paint till I go to bed, repeat 7 days a week...

I knew a successful storm player (legacy ANT) who ran a list with 7 Chant/Silence main board beginning 2012. He timewalked decks all day long, brilliant player... that said most successful storm players are...

keep us posted on your results with the deck!!
Posted 13 February 2013 at 09:28

yeah i dont have any second sunrise yet either, but i let my one buddy borrow a few cards a while back and he hasnt given them back to me yet. he was trying to play eggs back when second sunrise was like 2 bucks haha, so im gonna try and see if i can just get him to give me his >:D

its insanely fun to play though. you can have a blast just goldfishing it. haha

i can dig some drawing and painting though. ive always enjoyed those things myself. im not amazing, but me and my gf like to try :D im more of a musician i guess, but not much of that either x_x

i just started playing storm in legacy. im playing gitaxian probe/cabal therapy/duress over silence/chant though. i guess its more of a traditional looking ANT list but with a tiny red splash for past in flames and 2 burning wish over grim tutor. man-o-man though. storm is awesome. im addicted haha.

and yeah, hopefully i can get those second sunrises and get some paper games in! ill post how i do whenever i can >:D
Posted 14 February 2013 at 02:02

This is what a friend of mine was playing to good success a while back

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=3484&d=221258

Burning wish is the way to go.
Posted 14 February 2013 at 13:40

aww man, heck yeah. that list is lookin real sexy. i havent seen anyone run diving top in ant. but i generally find myself TRYING to go of t3-4 instead of earlier to make sure im clear. divining top might be kinda slick.

and yeah burning wish is awesome. it has great art also, and is $100+ less than grim tutor haha.
Posted 14 February 2013 at 21:20