Discussion Forum

Cipher

I am sure I am not thd only one that has a question abkyt cipher. I thought you could cipher with a copy of a card that has cipher. Someone left a comment on my cipher deck page saying that a copy of a card with cipher can't cipher. So please tell me jf this is right. And piint me to the ruling is it so.
Posted 17 February 2013 at 21:18

The rulings for cipher and even the card text itself support it not working with copies of the spells. Common sense as well (that would be exponential growth...).

[QUOTE]Cipher (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)[/QUOTE]

A copy of a card is not a card, it's just an object created by the game with the details of the card.

[QUOTE]702.97. Cipher
702.97a Cipher appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents two abilities. The first is a spell ability that functions while the spell with cipher is on the stack. The second is a static ability that functions while the card with cipher is in the exile zone. "Cipher" means "If this spell is represented by a card, you may exile this card encoded on a creature you control" and "As long as this card is encoded on that creature, that creature has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may copy the encoded card and you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.""[/QUOTE]
Posted 17 February 2013 at 21:40

The text supports what I'm saying even what your say agrees with me. You exile the card wheather its copy or not and you do a second ecoding. No where does it say remove the first encoding. You do the same thing you did the first time you cast the spell, you exile card or copy of the card then you can place an encoding of that card on a creature. No where it say remove first encoding. The encoding is what is allow the player to recast the spell. It does not remove the encoding. And each time you cast the spell you can enocde. Simple. You're trying to say it removes the enocding and it does not. You're casting a copy of card, a copy of a card is no different from the first-it's a copy. And as such you exile the copy just like you did the first one. The copy is no different than the first one, it is treated the same. Now point me to the ruling where it says that cipher doesn't work this way. I want to the inform the judges about the mistake. I thought card were objects anyways?
Posted 18 February 2013 at 00:31

The text supports what I'm saying even what your say agrees with me. You exile the card wheather its copy or not and you do a second ecoding. No where does it say remove the first encoding. You do the same thing you did the first time you cast the spell, you exile card or copy of the card then you can place an encoding of that card on a creature. No where it say remove first encoding. The encoding is what is allow the player to recast the spell. It does not remove the encoding. And each time you cast the spell you can enocde. Simple. You're trying to say it removes the enocding and it does not. You're casting a copy of card, a copy of a card is no different from the first-it's a copy. And as such you exile the copy just like you did the first one. The copy is no different than the first one, it is treated the same. Now point me to the ruling where it says that cipher doesn't work this way. I want to the inform the judges about the mistake. I thought card were objects anyways? I've played a few judges and it is freakish how well they kbow the rules. I think you misunderstood the rule you point out to me. A copy of a card is a card. And you can have 4 copies of the same card in your deck, to start off with.
Posted 18 February 2013 at 00:45

Nothing I said supports your idea. Maybe you should read what I said again and stop trying to twist things to your faulty logic.

A copy of a card is not a card, it's a copy of a card. For cipher to work, it has to be represented by the card itself. The copy that is cast after the fact or a twincast'ed copy of the spell is not represented by the cipher card, they're represented by a copy with identical wording but no actual card to back it up. Without a card backing it, the "exile this card" part of cipher fails and it does not create an additional cipher effect.

Do not confuse to context of "spell copy" with having four copies of the same card in your deck.
Posted 18 February 2013 at 06:23

Igive up. a copy of a card is the samething as the copy of the card that you have in your deck. As long as you have a card you can encode and as long as there is an encoding on a creature you can put out another copy of the card without paying the mana cost. Say what you want i am done dude.
Posted 18 February 2013 at 08:00

[QUOTE=vines]Igive up. a copy of a card is the samething as the copy of the card that you have in your deck. As long as you have a card you can encode and as long as there is an encoding on a creature you can put out another copy of the card without paying the mana cost. Say what you want i am done dude.[/QUOTE]

It's not the same thing and there's no reason you should expect it to be the same thing.

From your own quote above "As long as you have a card you can encode" you do not have a card when you cast an encoded cipher (it casts a copy, not the card itself), hence it doesn't work from your own words.

See the bolded text below from the rules.

[QUOTE]706.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell
isn?t cast and a copy of an activated ability isn?t activated. A copy of a spell or ability copies both
the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the
value of X, and additional or alternative costs. (See rule 601, ?Casting Spells.?) Choices that are
normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its
costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is
owned by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell or ability is
controlled by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a
spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.[/QUOTE]

We're trying to help you understand the game, stop arguing.
Posted 18 February 2013 at 10:02

It not copying the spell it is copy the card not the spell. Now if was copying the spell that would be a different story. It clearly stats to cast a copy of the card. To my knowledge tyere has not been another ability that flat out copies a card. You keeps saying spell but this is the card that it is copying a card not a spell. Not to clear on the ruling for coping cards. I tuink you would treat them the same as any other card you would play.
Posted 18 February 2013 at 11:22

[QUOTE=vines]I am sure I am not thd only one that has a question abkyt cipher. I thought you could cipher with a copy of a card that has cipher. Someone left a comment on my cipher deck page saying that a copy of a card with cipher can't cipher. So please tell me jf this is right. And piint me to the ruling is it so.[/QUOTE]

You asked your question and you got the answer. If you don't want to hear the correct answer don't ask for it. Your behavior is childish, rude and disrespectful to the people that make the effort writing down the answer to your question. This is my last warning to you.

As for your question read the gatecrash mechanics on Wizards of the Coast

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/228

This is printed under the rulings of Cipher:

The copies created by the triggered ability can't be encoded on a creature.

Which is what Epsilon was saying, So far I've not known him to be wrong and he has answered a lot of questions here, so you might want to show some respect in the future and accept that chances are pretty high he is correct and you're not.
Posted 18 February 2013 at 11:38