Discussion Forum

Question, please help?

Last friday night magic I was kicked out of a tournament. The reason apparently was due to a illegal play. That of which I was able to do two times in other matches with no reply from my opponent.

The play I would have made, and did do is this: Get Tamiyo emblem, have Talrand on the field, then play Rewind over and over again to gain a ungodly amount of Drake tokens, then cast Temporal then smash face. Like I sead... I did this two times in other games with no reply until now.

So... was it right for them to give me the boot? The whole issue being Rewind being cast over and over again with no target. I'm under the impression that I could cast Rewind even if there is no target and it would just fizzle, then I untap my lands, Rewind goes to the graveyard, then I get it back due to the Tamiyo emblem. ...rinse and repeat until one has a ungodly amount of drake tokens.

The play was reviewed by a judge then the owner of the store whom of which is a judge. Both agreed it was a illegal and when asked if I made this play before during other matches, I told them the truth... then booted from the tournament.
Posted 27 February 2013 at 17:44

They are correct to kick you. Rewind cannot be cast without a target. For it to fizzle, it would have had to be legally cast (as in, with a target), and then the target becomes illegal (such as from a Nivmagus Elemental). You never had a target, so it was never legal to cast it (illegal actions result in a return to the gamestate before the action was made).
Posted 27 February 2013 at 20:10

So, did you know that you weren't allowed to play rewind without any targets?
Posted 28 February 2013 at 00:32

[QUOTE=NightLoki]So, did you know that you weren't allowed to play rewind without any targets?[/QUOTE]

yeah that's a good question. They should only disqualify you if they suspect you are cheating. Cheating means you are doing something on purpose that you know is illegal. If you did not know it's not cheating and you should get a warning + you would have to take back your illegal play but it's not even a big deal. You should respect the judge though, be calm and accept the ruling, I get the impression you made a fuss. Stating that you were allowed to make an illigal move multiple times before does not benefit you, obviously :)

It's like stealing a bike and when you get caught telling the police you've done it multiple times before and it was always ok then :) really not the strongest argument wouldn't you agree :)
Posted 28 February 2013 at 11:31

Just throw a Tormod's Crypt into the mix and do the combo legit next time.

Hell, if you managed to get a Tamiyo ultimate off three matches in a row, you deserve the wins. ;)
Posted 28 February 2013 at 11:44

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Just throw a Tormod's Crypt into the mix and do the combo legit next time. [/QUOTE]

How does that work?

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Hell, if you managed to get a Tamiyo ultimate off three matches in a row, you deserve the wins. ;)[/QUOTE]

agreed :)
Posted 28 February 2013 at 12:26

If the crypt is in play, you can sac it to get it back to your hand. Cast it for free and then your Rewind will have a target to counter. Both will return to hand, repeat.

I can't think of any other standard legal 0 drops so that was the card I suggested... Any free spells would work though.
Posted 28 February 2013 at 12:52

nice one :)
Posted 28 February 2013 at 13:10

I like uncounterable stuff, that way you can just put the original uncounterable thing on the stack then just keep casting rewind on it. That's definitely overkill though.
Posted 01 March 2013 at 20:17