Discussion Forum

Comander Rules

Hello i am mostly a commander player, and in EDH a lot can happen that we don't know how to rule it, our judge ruled the other day something that i do not agree.

I play Jhoira of the Ghitu and one of the players was playing

Sharum, The Hegemon he used mindslaver one me, after a serious trade of bad plays....

So on my turn he unequiped the boots i had on my commander and used swords to plowshares on my commander, saying than he had the control over my turn so he could choose not to put it on my command zone, and leave it exiled.....

The judge ruled it correct.

Not that it changed the course of the game but i just disagree, on commander rules says.

" If a commander would be put unto a graveyard or exile from anywhere, it's OWNER may choose to move it to the command zone instead" Rule 12 EDH.

So i am the owner he is the one controling me so he does not get to make decicions of onwership but otherwise, I AM CONFUSED.

Mindslaver states that

4}, {T}, Sacrifice Mindslaver: You control target player during that player's next turn. (You see all cards that player could see and make all decisions for the player.) So he is controling the owner??????

12/1/2004: You can't make any decisions that aren't called for or allowed by the game rules, or by any cards, permanents, spells, abilities, and so on.

AND

10/4/2004: Only lets you make decisions that the player would actually make. If another effect allows another player to make decisions that would normally be made by that player, such as having another player decide how combat damage is dealt, then the other effect takes precedence.

Lol I would never let my comander stay in exile....

Please help us.

Best Regards

Alexandre Jesus
Posted 04 March 2013 at 11:20

EDH is supposed to be a casual format, you're supposed to "let the other guy play too". You're supposed to house rule in ways that improve the fun for your group. I really hate what happened to commander and how people are trying to make it a competitive 1vs1 format.

In my group this would never be a problem because nobody cares where you put your general, it's your decision where you put it, I don't even approve of cards like Hinder on generals, well I do but the owner of the general is allowed to just put his dude back in the command zone. That's playing commander. If you don't have access to your commander and the other dude has access to his commander you're not playing commander. He's playing commander and you are playing some bizar 100 card singleton deck that most likely doesn't function anymore.
Posted 04 March 2013 at 12:29

The judge is correct. "You" get to choose to use the replacement effect, however, he is controlling you and he chose to have "you" decide to put it in exile instead. It's certainly a dick move but given the colors of your deck it's not really any different from a hinder which costs 3 while his play cost him 11 and two cards. Jhoira is definitely a general that would be a tuck target.

You're obviously playing in a competitive meta with generals like Jhoira and Sharuum though so "douchebag" plays like that are expected. If you have problems with plays like that, I would suggest talking with your group and getting the whole group to tone it down a bit. Commander is supposed to be fun and slaver locks or suspending MLD with eldrazi is not something most people enjoy.
Posted 04 March 2013 at 12:55

[QUOTE=Seth]EDH is supposed to be a casual format, you're supposed to "let the other guy play too". You're supposed to house rule in ways that improve the fun for your group. I really hate what happened to commander and how people are trying to make it a competitive 1vs1 format.

In my group this would never be a problem because nobody cares where you put your general, it's your decision where you put it, I don't even approve of cards like Hinder on generals, well I do but the owner of the general is allowed to just put his dude back in the command zone. That's playing commander. If you don't have access to your commander and the other dude has access to his commander you're not playing commander. He's playing commander and you are playing some bizar 100 card singleton deck that most likely doesn't function anymore.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Epsilon;]The judge is correct. "You" get to choose to use the replacement effect, however, he is controlling you and he chose to have "you" decide to put it in exile instead. It's certainly a dick move but given the colors of your deck it's not really any different from a hinder which costs 3 while his play cost him 11 and two cards. Jhoira is definitely a general that would be a tuck target.

You're obviously playing in a competitive meta with generals like Jhoira and Sharuum though so "douchebag" plays like that are expected. If you have problems with plays like that, I would suggest talking with your group and getting the whole group to tone it down a bit. Commander is supposed to be fun and slaver locks or suspending MLD with eldrazi is not something most people enjoy. [/QUOTE]

Where i live we normaly don't play 1vs1( on rare ocasion we do) In that ocasion it was a table of four, and it was not a sanctioned game, we have a judge because he was one of the players.

We play for fun and not for points, but we sometimes have some games that do not seem normal, and with 3, 4, 5 or 6 competive decks playing simultaniosly, gets complicated from time to time.

It is a douchebag play but if is viable i will shut up... and yes Jhoira is a douchebag as well so, all is well, and in that game Mimeoplasm won..

Either way thank you very much.

Best Regards
Posted 04 March 2013 at 13:39