Discussion Forum

Weathered Bodyguards with Pro Creatures?

Hi guys, a little while ago I was playing a game and I had a Weathered Bodyguards equipped with a Holy Mantle. When my opponent declared her attack, I didn't block so all of the damage would go to the Bodyguards. Her creature was a 26/26 trampling Mossbridge Troll. Would my Bodyguards have taken all of the damage and not died? Thanks for the help.
Posted 25 March 2013 at 00:18

[QUOTE=Monkey222]Hi guys, a little while ago I was playing a game and I had a Weathered Bodyguards equipped with a Holy Mantle. When my opponent declared her attack, I didn't block so all of the damage would go to the Bodyguards. Her creature was a 26/26 trampling Mossbridge Troll. Would my Bodyguards have taken all of the damage and not died? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTe]

Yes, your creature would survive. The damage is redirected but the source is still a creature and the bodyguard has protection from creatures.
Posted 25 March 2013 at 06:05

And Pro creatures wouldn't affect his ability?
Posted 25 March 2013 at 09:24

[QUOTE=Monkey222]And Pro creatures wouldn't affect his ability?[/QUOTE]

No, why would it have any effect on his ability?
Posted 25 March 2013 at 09:45

Why would it? He can't be targetted, blocked, damaged, equipped or enchanted by "creatures". Which of those prevents the damage from being redirected by his own ability? The ability does not target, it's a continuous redirection effect.

It would be the same as if he were to block a non trample creature. It would attempt to deal the damage, see that he's immune and nothing would happen.

The only way he would take creature damage is if the creature were Malignus, Excruciator or similar with Leyline of Punishment type effects.

What you have set up is a strong but risky synergy. You can't take creature damage as long as your creature remains in play. It forces you to not block though which leaves you open to spot removal once blocks have been declared.
Posted 25 March 2013 at 09:55

Just trying to cover all of the possibilities that came up in the game when we were discussing it. I run that in my Sigarda Auras EDH so it kinda averts peoples focus. If I get them both out, people have a harder time hitting me.

But anywqy, thanks for your guys help. It had been bugging me for a while!
Posted 25 March 2013 at 11:41

The issue that was brought up during the game was whether having pro-creatures interfered with Weathered Bodyguards ability, a creature ability which redirects damage to himself. Having pro-creatures should (technically) prevent him from being the target of creature abilities.

The group was unsure as to the exact wording for this rule and whether this particular ability was an exception. Based on what we read online it seemed like the combo should synergise so the issue was dropped. Became redundant anyway when Weathered Bodyguards was obliterated a couple of turns later.
Posted 25 March 2013 at 21:10

Unless pro-creatures continues to target and just reduces the damage to 0, which would make sense for these two cards to work together. Not familiar enough with the rules to pass any judgment.
Posted 25 March 2013 at 21:14

[QUOTE=Archaic]The issue that was brought up during the game was whether having pro-creatures interfered with Weathered Bodyguards ability, a creature ability which redirects damage to himself. Having pro-creatures should (technically) prevent him from being the target of creature abilities.

The group was unsure as to the exact wording for this rule and whether this particular ability was an exception. Based on what we read online it seemed like the combo should synergise so the issue was dropped. Became redundant anyway when Weathered Bodyguards was obliterated a couple of turns later.[/QUOTE]

A spell or ability does not target unless it actually says "target". An ability referencing itself or an equipped creature is not a targetted ability. An exception to this is auras as they target when they are cast (but not when they are moved after being on the field).
Posted 26 March 2013 at 05:44