Discussion Forum

CCM (counter copy mill) EDH

This is my budget friendly copy,counter and mill commander deck. it works pretty well but i feel like it could use a few things to make it more reliable. It is budget friendly, so please keep that with in mind before suggestions.

Thanks everyone in advanced!

Swing by and check out my blog if you get a chance, like comment and share some stories:D

http://cardgametalk.wordpress.com/

Artifact
1xArmillary Sphere
1xCourier's Capsule
1xDarksteel Brute
1xElixir of Immortality
1xFont of Mythos
1xGhoulcaller's Bell
1xMask of Avacyn
1xMind Stone
1xRusted Relic
1xScepter of Insight
1xSpellbook
1xStonework Puma

Creature
1xÆther Adept
1xAugury Owl
1xAzure Mage
1xBlighted Agent
1xChancellor of the Spir..
1xClone
1xFrogmite
1xGrozoth
1xInvisible Stalker
1xJace's Archivist
1xMerfolk Mesmerist
1xMulldrifter
1xNeurok Commando
1xOculus
1xPalladium Myr
1xPhantasmal Image
1xPhyrexian Ingester
1xPhyrexian Metamorph
1xQuicksilver Gargantuan
1xQumulox
1xScreeching Silcaw
1xSilver Myr
1xSpiketail Drakeling
1xSpiketail Hatchling
1xSteel Wall
1xWall of Tanglecord
Enchantment
1xCurse of the Bloody To..
1xIce Cage
1xJace's Erasure
1xMemory Erosion
1xShapeshifter's Marrow

Instant
1xCancel
1xConvolute
1xCounterspell
1xDeprive
1xDream Twist
1xFuel for the Cause
1xInto the Roil
1xPeer Through Depths
1xPsychic Barrier
1xSpell Pierce
1xStoic Rebuttal
1xThink Twice
1xTraumatic Visions
1xTwincast
1xUnsummon

Sorcery
1xAncestral Vision
1xEternal Dominion
1xVivisection
1xWalk the Aeons

Land
1xCommand Tower
1xEsper Panorama
1xHalimar Depths
28xIsland
1xLonely Sandbar
1xMutavault
1xReliquary Tower
1xRupture Spire
1xStalking Stones
1xTerramorphic Expanse

Commander

1xSakashima the Impostor
Posted 07 April 2013 at 13:17

- giving your opponents cards isn't a very good idea but they sure will love you for it :) be careful with playing cards like Font of Mythos.

In a mono blue deck I would probably play some combo's to finish the game as it will be difficult to keep up with multicolored decks in terms of card quality and power when the game drags on.

There are plenty of blue combo's

for instance Brine Elemental + Vesuvan Shapeshifter (pickles combo).

Arcum Dagsson is a great mono blue commander for an artifact based deck. It's a no brainer.

Mind Over Matter + Temple Bell and an eldrazi that shuffles your library back into your deck (Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre but both are apparently expensive at the moment, don't know if there is an alternative, I guess Darksteel/Blightsteel Colossus would work as well shuffling it back over and over.)
is a strong combo that mills the entire table

Eye of the Storm and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is fun, preventing your opponents from ever playing instants or sorceries. Add Spellshift countering your own spells will enable you to draw and play every sorcery and instant in your deck then and there and go boooom. This is very difficult stuff though, you must understand the rules of the game very well. Usually when people play Eye of the Storm things get confusing fast.

Stasis + Vedalken Mastermind is pretty obnoxious but it works like a charm :)

there must be other as well.

PS: I kind of like Grozoth, I had totally forgot about that card but I know I have one somewhere. Looks pretty broken once you get it into play.
Posted 08 April 2013 at 07:34

thanks. its not the strongest deck by any means but it does have some fun to it. ill have to check out the cards you have suggested i might could work some or all into the deck to really boost the power level. your right about font, but oddly enough in my area its a great o crap what to discard kinda card. :D

haha yah grozoth is a great card to have some serious fun with >:D
Posted 09 April 2013 at 01:33

[QUOTE=demonking28]haha yah grozoth is a great card to have some serious fun with >:D[/QUOTE]

come in play tutor effects on creatures are pretty sick and despite his mana cost I'm surprised I've never seen anyone abuse him. I'm thinking playing stuff like Deadeye Navigator, Conjurer's Closet, Venser, the Sojourner, momentary blink, Mistmeadow Witch, (from the graveyard, body double and Karmic guide). Playing him in a :manag::manab::manau: deck with reanimate effects and Survival of the Fittest is pretty broken...
Cheating him into play with stuff like Aethermage's Touch, Show and Tell, Tooth and Nail, Summoning Trap, Call of the Wild (with Sensei's divining top, Mirri's Guile, Sylvan Library etc...)

broken...

I'm going to make a grozoth deck :)
Posted 09 April 2013 at 07:28

man if this is all going in an EDH deck ur friends are soooooooooooooooooo ganna hate that beast hahaha. you should post the deck when its done. what legy are you thikin about usin??
Posted 09 April 2013 at 15:50

I put him in my The Mimeoplasm deck. I have 10 commander decks which are all pretty fair except for this one which packs a bunch of instant kill combo's. I usually don't play these kinds of combos outside of tournament play (where winning is all that matters) but as I have 9 other decks I felt one evil one would be ok :)

It's basically my mill EDH with mill cards like

Tormod's Crypt (for decks that have defenses against milling)
Altar of dementia (main card of the deck)
Vulturous Zombie and Lord of Extinction who are hilarious with Altar of Dementia
Mesmeric Orb (another engine card)
Duskmantle Guildmage/Mindcrank combo
Undead Alchemist which has proven to be totally broken
Sword of Body And Mind

Then I have some other combos

- Lord of Extinction/triskelion in the yard + my general = win
- Sac outlet like Greater Good or Altar of Dementia + woodfall Primus/mikaeus, The Unhallowed combo
- worm harvest/spitting image and life from the loam as graveyard based attack (great with mesmeric orb)

I have about 15cards slots devoted to mana ramp

I have lots of tutors like: Run-Scarred Demon, Grozoth (thanks t you), Survival of the fittest, fabricate, Green sun's zenith, demonic tutor, primeval titan (with cabal coffers and urborg tomb of yawgmoth), vampiric tutor, tooth and nail, diabolic revelation (which is broken)

I have a lot of card draw like: greater good, soul's majesty (great with mimeoplasm), consecrated sphinx, twisted justice, decree of pain, mulldrifter, praetor's counsil (great with mesmeric orb), Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and sensei's divining top

I have some reanimation cards like body double, my general, puppeteer clique, eternal winess, sheoldred, genesis, geth, lord of the vault, beacon of unrest, academy ruins and victimize

I have good sweepers like Damnation, Decree of Pain and Oblivion Stone

I have Kozilek, Butcher of Truth so that I can't mill myself with mesmeric orb but it's annoying as well when I really need my yard and I mill Kozilek with Mesmeric Orb and it kills my yard, happens all the time.

I olse rely heavily on come in play effects for various synergies with my mill and ressurect strategy, for instance I have cards like Duplicant and Woodfall Primus as spot removal, grozoth and Rune-Scarred Demon as reusable tutors, Mulldrifter as card draw, Phantasmal Image and Body double as situational toolbox, puppeteer clique as toolbox, eternal witness, pelakka wurm as life gain, primeval titan and solemn simulacrum as accelerators

It's pretty nasty :)
Posted 10 April 2013 at 13:41

hahaha yah that sounds like on nasty EDH build. i think even my kaalia deck wouldnt stand much of a chance against that. thats about as bad as my lil brother's deck. he uses mimeoplasm too but he went with the infect route... its pretty fast and no one does much to him.
Posted 10 April 2013 at 19:03

Well that's one of those things where I draw the line, while I do make pretty strong decks I do have my principles like

- no focussed Infect abuse, it breaks the rules of EDH. While I can stand that equipment that gives infect for instance, putting it on an unblockable creature would be over the top.

- no mass discarding the other guys hand like with Myojin of Night's Reach or Identity Crisis. Other poeple are allowed to play too. I just hate it when someone discards everyone's hand mid game without a quick means of ending the game. If you do have to shut down your opponent make his suffering short, then it's fine.

- no mass land destruction or crucible/stripmine shit. Other poeple are allowed to play as well. I also don't play stuff like blood moon, armageddon, back to basics, restore balance, Limited Resources, Detritivore, Sundering Titan etc...

That said I would play all these things and then some if I were to start building towards 1 on 1 competitive play but I will never do that because if I want to play competitive I'll just play tournament legacy.

cheers
Posted 11 April 2013 at 06:56

lol I know just what you mean. I have a range of commanders so far. My fav is Kaalia jut b/c I can use my dragons lol. My Numot deck isn't the strongest thing but can win some games when needed to. It's more of the I feel like making people angry today deck XD.

I don't like dealing with infect... though house rules we really charged up the infect to a higher number. We tryed 21 but it might get higher just b/c it's so easy to deal it sometimes...

What's your thoughts on these new legends that have been spoiled so far?
Posted 12 April 2013 at 01:55

from what I've seen

Lavinia of the Tenth seems powerfull and easy to abuse but maybe not that great as a general.

Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts looks very overcosted making her just bad, I see no reason to run her ever. At mana cost 4 she would have been great.

Mirko Vosk: seems pretty good and fun as a general

Melek: is insane, totally awesome card and I want to play it in multiple commander decks. I would not play him as general though, he's a bit slow for that and UR is very limiting in terms of colors especially in multiplayer.

Exava: just another BR aggressor, not very exciting

Varolz, the Scar-Striped: looks very good, makes for a very agressive commander general

Ruric Thar: very boring, he's playable in an aggressive creature based deck like in a Mayael the Anima deck but as general he would be very boring.

Vorel: not really that useful I think
Posted 12 April 2013 at 07:44

Eh, I still see some fun new generals to experiment with. I do agree with how you have broken them down so far though. Some have more flash it seems and the others like Teysa are just a let down.. -_- why o why didnt they make her more playable??
Posted 12 April 2013 at 18:09

Just play the origenal Teysa, she's very strong and costs 3. The old Ghost Council of Orzhova was also Soooooo much better then the crappy new one, looks like they are making toned down versions of the origenals.
Posted 14 April 2013 at 07:14

I never was a big fan of her, just sucks that they pretty much ruined her with this horrible reprint. -_- I don't know, I kinda like the new Ghost Council better than the old one. Hm either way the combination of them would be interesting in a B/W commander deck don't you think?
Posted 14 April 2013 at 15:42

[QUOTE=demonking28]I never was a big fan of her, just sucks that they pretty much ruined her with this horrible reprint. -_- I don't know, I kinda like the new Ghost Council better than the old one. Hm either way the combination of them would be interesting in a B/W commander deck don't you think?[/QUOTE]

What made the old Ghost Council good was his ability to evade removal, the new one is easy to get rid of making him a lot worse then the origenal.
My friend runs a Teysa Commander deck and it's his only deck I really struggle against and has defeated me multiple times. He has a nice balance of token based strategies and removal. I've come to respect a good Teysa deck.
Posted 15 April 2013 at 06:49

lol that is expected. using white and black in one deck like commander is just brutal. both have some of the strongest cards in the game and u gain the ability to play them both? deff not good lol, i can see why u have trouble against the deck.
Posted 16 April 2013 at 03:33

[QUOTE=demonking28]lol that is expected. using white and black in one deck like commander is just brutal. both have some of the strongest cards in the game and u gain the ability to play them both? deff not good lol, i can see why u have trouble against the deck.[/QUOTE]

I feel different about that, to me White and Black are overlapping colors serving approximately the same function and if you use one you don't need the other. Of the two black is the strongest by far because it offers a lot of card advantage (almost as well as blue) and is part of some of the best multicolor cards.
I would rather have Black + any color other then white then the BW combination to build a deck out of. That said WR is probably the weakest combination for multiplayer (neither color offers much in terms of card advantage) so all things concidered BW isn't that bad.

I guess I'm just not a white mage :) It's funny how different competitive legacy is from Commander because in the last 2 years playing legacy every deck I've played (on a serious level) was UW or UWx. For competitive play the power creep of blue and white has been insane the last few years while in multiplayer I just want BU and everything else is a bonus (BUG being the strongest 3 color combination).
Posted 16 April 2013 at 06:58

I've always seen white as a weaker color... That's probably more of a personal opinion rather than fact but by itself it's pretty weak. Sure it has the best board wipes and spot removal but the card draw is basically non existant. (red at least has wheels and loot) There's some good token strats or big angels but they don't necessarily work well together and either way can be very mana intensive without much real ramp.

It works well in combination with other colors but by itself it's fairly weak. RDW has always been strong. MBC has always been strong. Even mono blue permission has been strong. Azusa is tier 1 in EDH and elves are always threatening. Mono white weenies doesn't really compare IMO. (plus goblins and elves tend to just do "weenie" better.)

Most of my decks are 1-2 colors so I tend to not play much white because of this...
Posted 16 April 2013 at 09:15

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Azusa is tier 1 in EDH[/QUOTE]

Azusa as general? intersting, I've never concidered that. That does sound pretty nasty.
Posted 16 April 2013 at 09:28

[QUOTE=Seth]Azusa as general? intersting, I've never concidered that. That does sound pretty nasty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I've seen ~15 lands in play by turn 3. She's rediculous.
Posted 16 April 2013 at 09:57

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Yeah... I've seen ~15 lands in play by turn 3. She's rediculous.[/QUOTE]

Despite being obviously good I guess she's popular mainly because of Crucible/stripmine rediculousness in competitive play. I do think I'll build an Asusa deck now because I've wanted to build a crazy mono green deck for while now and she'll make a fine general, that said I won't play stripmine locks, that's just disgusting.
Posted 16 April 2013 at 10:54

wow this escaladed quickly lol. over all there r some pretty crazy legendary creatures that can be abused in so many ways.

Seth, u should post the deck when u have it completed. id be interested in seeing what u came up with.
Posted 26 April 2013 at 01:32

I'm about to order some cards for the deck, I'll probably build it sometime soon

Had a fun game with my The Mimeoplasm deck

We were a few rounds in the game (4 players) and I had The Mimeoplasm out as a Solemn Simulacrum with Avacyn, Angel of Hope as +1/+1 counters and a Rune-Scarred Demon. Before my turn I play vampiric Tutor and fetch Altar of Dementia. In my turn, I was holding a lot of good cards thanks to a wel aimed Twisted Justice a few turns earlier, I play Altar of Dementia, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Lord of Extinction and Undead Alchemist.
I had Cabal Coffers and Urborg out so tons of mana.

Anyway, everyone looks at me like why is he over extending like that. One guy (good player and ex judge) picked up Undead Alchemist and read it and thought that's just a bad synergy with his general. Also there was an Ensnaring Bridge on the board so noone was attacking with anything above power 3.

Anyway, I say go, the guy next to me plays damnation, and I mill the board (3 decks, and my Lord of Extinction was only a 31/31 so there were only 31 cards in the craveyards yet when I began milling), it was insane. I was lucky that only 1 deck packed an eldrazi (Kozilek) which meant I had to mill it for about 25 extra cards... no biggy :)

Undead Alchemist is nuts
Posted 29 April 2013 at 07:04

Hahaha wow. Seth that just seemed like a giant slap in the face to everyone hahahahahaha. I think I would have killed the person who used Damnation. Everything was going fine till you just haaaaaaaaaaaaad to damn everything hahaha. I like the Undead Alchemist. He seems to have great synergy with your game plan.
Posted 29 April 2013 at 20:58

The damnation had little to do with it, I would have milled everyone at the end of the last opponents turn anyway :)

Undead Alchemist with altar of dementia is nuts, if you're opponent isn't playing some kind of creatureless deck he's pretty much dead.
Posted 30 April 2013 at 07:30

hahah yah that much is true. sounds like something i would have done too.

pretty much, i guess the only thing u could have done to make it worse would be to have leyline of the void out too so everything gets exiled as it hits the grave. now ur opponents r completely screwed even with the help of shuffle back in the deck creatures XD
Posted 30 April 2013 at 14:45

Undead Alchemist exiles creatures as well, even if they have an Eldrazi it gets exiled before the yard gets shuffled back in. So if you are sacking your zombies one by one to Altar and an eldrazi gets milled, the eldrazi is exiled and you let the shuffle back ability resolve, then you continue sacrificing zombies. Worst case scenario you don't mill them completly but all their creatures are exiled which is fine too most of the time. Some general based decks like Zur will still be problematic but I have other ways of winning besides milling.
Posted 30 April 2013 at 14:59