Discussion Forum

Create a Card - Group Effort (part 1)

I'd like to start a group effort 'Create a Card' with the people here on the Vault. Not sure Competitions is the best plase to do this though :|

Anyways, step 1 requires a vote on the type of card, so I'm attempting to put a poll on this. Card types are in the poll.

Poll runs for 1 week.
Posted 30 April 2013 at 11:07

I think we should go for lands just because i'd like to see how a community went about abusing it.... YAY VALAKUT!
Posted 01 May 2013 at 03:23

[QUOTE=deathtyrant5000]I think we should go for lands just because i'd like to see how a community went about abusing it.... YAY VALAKUT![/QUOTE]

A Land would be interesting. Too bad I've already voted...

(Valakut is borderline broken)
Posted 02 May 2013 at 04:48

[QUOTE=DedWards]A Land would be interesting. Too bad I've already voted...

(Valakut is borderline broken)[/QUOTE]

touche, but i'd like to find a land thats not only playable in a land deck. yet can still be built around but yes valakut is borderline broken. i still hate the scapeshift interraction because thats a pretty broken combo
Posted 03 May 2013 at 07:26

Valakut is a very balanced card that you have to work for to make it worth anything and it puts great pressure on your land base. It's not even close to broken. It's only because of the interaction with scapeshift that it's even on the map and even that interaction is just another combo. Whether that combo is good or just avarage depends on the format it's legal in.

So when building a card will it be standard legal or something aimed at eternal formats only like the Commander sets?

If I could create a card I would create a creature, creatures are the most versitile of all cards and offer the largest range of interaction with existing cards.

I would probably create a sick creature with shroud and a build in Tainted Æther for 2 mana :)

Crovax, The Blight Lord :manab::manab:
Legendary Creature - Human Zombie
2/1 Shroud
Whenever a creature other then Crovax, The Blight Lord enters the battlefield, its controller sacrifices a creature or land.
:manab:, sacrifice a land, sacrifice Crovax, The Blight Lord: Destroy target Creature or Land

I would so love playing this guy!! :)
Posted 03 May 2013 at 08:06

[QUOTE=Seth]So when building a card will it be standard legal or something aimed at eternal formats only like the Commander sets?

If I could create a card I would create a creature, creatures are the most versitile of all cards and offer the largest range of interaction with existing cards.[/QUOTE]

I'd say we try for a card that could do well in most formats. I know that's a tall order, but it's a hurdle to overcome later in the development of this comunity created card.
Posted 03 May 2013 at 10:52

As I consistently do, I say we need either more cheap colored artifacts, or black enchantments. But that's just because I'm biased in favor of Legacy Toolbox designs. :D
Posted 04 May 2013 at 01:30

agreed if i were to make a black enchantment it would lean heavily towards mono black control. for example.

Sanity Break :mana1::manab::manab:
Discard two cards: Target player discards two cards at random.
At the beginning of your upkeep if there are no cards in your hand sacrifice ~ and draw a card.

It would be unbelievably broken in LED dredge but the 3 drop manacost makes it able to disincentivize them. that or a :manab::manab::manab: manacost, whatever works.
Posted 06 May 2013 at 13:19

[QUOTE=deathtyrant5000]agreed if i were to make a black enchantment it would lean heavily towards mono black control. for example.

Sanity Break :mana1::manab::manab:
Discard two cards: Target player discards two cards at random.
At the beginning of your upkeep if there are no cards in your hand sacrifice ~ and draw a card.

It would be unbelievably broken in LED dredge but the 3 drop manacost makes it able to disincentivize them. that or a :manab::manab::manab: manacost, whatever works.[/QUOTE]

That's basically Raven's Crime on steroids for lands. I think for manacost 3 it would still be banworthy in legacy. It would be huge in decks that play Life from the Loam (Lands, Loam, Pox) and would likely make them the dominant strategy. It would seriously warp the meta.
Posted 06 May 2013 at 13:35

[QUOTE=Seth]That's basically Raven's Crime on steroids for lands. I think for manacost 3 it would still be banworthy in legacy. It would be huge in decks that play Life from the Loam (Lands, Loam, Pox) and would likely make them the dominant strategy. It would seriously warp the meta.[/QUOTE]

It's been a while since I've played Legacy, but I think shaking things up every now and then is healthy for a game, or it'd become a little too stale. Though it's a nighmare to try make something that doesn't shake it up too much, especially if it's such a long running game as Magic...
Posted 06 May 2013 at 14:39

I would love that card to be a reality, but as Seth says, it would warp the meta even at three CMC. I already play Lands as my main deck, I don't need yet another reason to run it. Even at four black it'd be one of my go-to cards, and might even make me consider playing Lake of the Dead, or a second Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in my lands list.
Posted 06 May 2013 at 21:14

At the very least it would have to have the "activate only any time you could play a sorcery" clause that nearly all other discard abilities have. It would definitely be broken with LftL, Land Tax, Geth's Grimoire or other similar effects.
Posted 07 May 2013 at 06:37

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]At the very least it would have to have the "activate only any time you could play a sorcery" clause that nearly all other discard abilities have. It would definitely be broken with LftL, Land Tax, Geth's Grimoire or other similar effects.[/QUOTE]

O man, I forgot all about Geth's Grimoire, I so love that card. Maybe it's because I've only been playing EDH the last few years (not counting legacy) and it's not nice to discard people in a friendly EDh game :)
But man, that card is cool, the art, the flavor, the effect, even the mana cost is something I can live with.
Posted 07 May 2013 at 07:36

[QUOTE=Seth]O man, I forgot all about Geth's Grimoire, I so love that card. Maybe it's because I've only been playing EDH the last few years (not counting legacy) and it's not nice to discard people in a friendly EDh game :)
But man, that card is cool, the art, the flavor, the effect, even the mana cost is something I can live with.[/QUOTE]

I don't really have a problem with discard in EDH but it's generally too weak in multiplayer since it's a tempo play that usually only hits one player. With some of the new offerings like Sire of Insanity and such, it's got some potential for play without being too lopsided with garbage like Jin Gitaxias... As long as it's symetrical discard, it's all good. Draw is too strong in EDH so playing things to combat that isn't really a bad idea.
Posted 07 May 2013 at 09:10