Discussion Forum

LifeGain EDH

Hey guys

My new cards have arrived and so it's time to build a new EDH. Hope you guys can help me with suggestions and such...

New cards I want to use

Fathom Mage
Prime Speaker Zegana
Vorel of the Hull Clade

Cards that have been waiting to find a home

Drogskol Reaver

So this pretty much sets my 3 colors as :manau::manaw::manag: (Bant)

My focus/theme

- Lifegain (in hopefully rediculous amounts)
- Drawing cards (as always)
- Getting counters on Fathom Mage and other creatures possibly when gaining life or gaining life from creatures that have a lot of counters on them

My Commander

Rubinia Soulsinger (my preference, more control style of play)
Rafiq of the Many
Jenara, Asura of War

Some interaction/card selections so far

Well of Lost Dreams: draw cards when gaining life
Cradle of Vitality: put +1/+1 counters when gaining life
True Conviction : lifegain
Angelic Chorus : lifegain
Wall of Reverence : lifegain
Archangel's Light: lifegain
Beacon of Immortality: absurt lifegain
Serra Ascendant : lifegain abuse
Storm Herd: lifegain abuse
Felidar Sovereign: alt win, maybe I'll cut this as it's no fun

some other possibilities

tutors: Survival of the Fittest, Green Sun's Zenith, Eladamri's Call
recursion: Reveillark, Karmic Guide, Eternal Witness
Reshuffle the Graveyard: Elixir of Immortality, Time Spiral, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth (with Survival of the Fittest)
Planeswalkers: Ajani Goldmane, Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Elspeth Tirel, Venser, the Sojourner

more to come, any and all advice is welcome... At the moment I'm just listing stuff, will have to cut afterwards...
Posted 16 May 2013 at 08:57

Trostani and Rhox Faithmender go well with a lifegain theme... Trostani is probably the perfect general but definitely needs to be in the 99 if you're going bant.

Phyrexian Processor and Celestial Mantle are a must in a life gain deck as well.

If you went with Jenara you'd have additional synergies with the rest of your counter/life gain/control plan. Jenara supports a draw go mentality and then tap out end of turn to pump her up with any mana not spent already. She's a win condition on her own so you don't need to commit any extra deck space off theme.

Rubinia requires too much setup IMO. Your theme is already pretty broad so having to play cards that untap and such to make her more powerful will cut into your plan pretty hard.

Venser's Journal is an obvious include since you'll be drawing a ton and wanting the life gain to boot.
Posted 16 May 2013 at 10:11

- I just picked up Trostani on Ebay, she'll fit in nicely giving me a second Angelic Chorus effect.

- For some stupid reason I'm afraid of playing Phyrexian Processor just because people used to run mind slaver all the time in our old playgroup. I'm just going to play it, it would be stupid not to and the synergy with Trostani is stupid good.

- I used to play Jenara, maybe I will again although I do like what Rubinia does even without support. She's great at keeping other commanders in check and that's no minor thing. By the way I think you are mixing her up with Merieke Ri Berit, Rubinia can untap if she likes.

- I do have this fear that Drogskol Reaver will hold my lifegain back, that or mill me :)
Posted 16 May 2013 at 11:10

Nah I was thinking her. They're both pretty similar and provided you have a sac outlet available, you'd want access to untap effects. Also things to remove equipment or get around hexproof so you can steal those greaved guys.
Posted 16 May 2013 at 11:27