Discussion Forum

A question about "hexproof"

Hi. I am a new player and I am comfused about "hexproof". I understant that I cannot target a creature an opponent controls which has hexproof. But can I use an enchantment on that creature?
For example, can I play "death's approach" (Enchanted creature gets -X/-X, where X is the number of creature cards in its controller's graveyard.) on "primal huntbeast" that an opponent controls?
I am asking because the enchantment does NOT use the word target
Posted 16 May 2013 at 11:46

An aura only targets as it is cast.

[QUOTE]114.1b Aura spells are always targeted. These are the only permanent spells with targets. An Aura’s target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 702.5, “Enchant”). The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura permanent doesn’t target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.)[/QUOTE]

If, however, you are able to cheat an aura into play without casting it, you can place it on any legal target but it does not target.

[QUOTE]303.4f If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player’s control by any means other than by resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn’t specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura’s enchant ability and any other applicable effects.[/QUOTE]

This rule will likely not be relevant in standard but it can be for older formats and particularly useful in EDH. For example, you can cast Control Magic on your own creature and then cast Aura Graft to move it from your creature onto a hexproof creature, like Uril, the Miststalker.

Also, Zur the Enchanter's ability brings them directly into play so they do not target and can be placed on any creature even if they have shroud, as long as they do not have protection from the color of the enchantment.
Posted 16 May 2013 at 12:07

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_] For example, you can cast Control Magic on your own creature and then cast Aura Graft to move it from your creature onto a hexproof creature, like Uril, the Miststalker.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I would love to see the face of the Uril player when that happens :)

a more commen example is when cards like Retether or Replenish are cast, then aura's don't target. Zur the Enchanter cheats enchantments into the battlefield without them targetting as well.
Posted 16 May 2013 at 12:30

[QUOTE=Seth]LOL, I would love to see the face of the Uril player when that happens :)

a more commen example is when cards like Retether or Replenish are cast, then aura's don't target. Zur the Enchanter cheats enchantments into the battlefield without them targetting as well.[/QUOTE]

I had a Hakim, Loreweaver deck specifically designed to steal shroudy generals... Uril and Zur were big in my meta at the time. Crown of the Ages was a boss.

In response to your bear umbra'd uril swinging with Aggravated Assault at me, I'll move Arcanum Wings to him and then activate aura swap putting in Treachery, response? Usually was something rhyming with "truck".

The first game I did something like that to Zur he stopped showing up for like a year. He had spent all his life on Necropotence or something earlier so he could swing with a Empyrial Armor'd lifelinking Zur at one of the other opponents. I stole the armor so it was no longer lethal. The next turn the opponent tried to burn him for the rest of his life which I countered so I could kill them both on my turn. It was extremely amusing for me. Not so much for them.
Posted 17 May 2013 at 05:04

Sir, you're now officially one of the coolest Commander players I've met! :) That is awesome deckbuilding. Wish you played in my group, my guys would love a player like you. Over here this kind of deckbuilding and play style gets a lot of appreciation.
Posted 17 May 2013 at 07:02

[QUOTE=Seth]Sir, you're now officially one of the coolest Commander players I've met! :) That is awesome deckbuilding. Wish you played in my group, my guys would love a player like you. Over here this kind of deckbuilding and play style gets a lot of appreciation.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, we would love to have more "jonny" EDH players over here.

We have a lot of "spikes", so it gets rough sometimes...
Posted 19 May 2013 at 07:24

You being a new player I know you didn't understand all that shit those other guys said. I 'll give you the answer you will understand. No you can't because it has to target the creature and creatures with hexproof cannot be targeted. However spells that don't have the word target in them can work on creatures with hexproof. Now go play.
Posted 19 June 2013 at 08:03

[QUOTE=vines]You being a new player I know you didn't understand all that shit those other guys said. I 'll give you the answer you will understand. No you can't because it has to target the creature and creatures with hexproof cannot be targeted. However spells that don't have the word target in them can work on creatures with hexproof. Now go play.[/QUOTE]

This isn't making it clear. An aura doesn't say "target" in the description so you need to know that all aura's target when they are cast as by the general rules for aura's and not because the card says so. This is what Epsilon already stated.
Posted 19 June 2013 at 08:40

To enchance a creature you have to target a creature because have to select a creature to enchat. If the spell forces you to pick a target that's targeting.
Instead of saying I'm so wrong you should explain what targeting is.
Posted 19 June 2013 at 19:48

[QUOTE=vines]To enchance a creature you have to target a creature because have to select a creature to enchat. If the spell forces you to pick a target that's targeting.
Instead of saying I'm so wrong you should explain what targeting is.[/QUOTE]

We already did... You only target if casting it from your hand. So "yes" an aura targets but there are ways to get an aura onto a creature without targetting. This is all covered in the very first reply in the thread.
Posted 20 June 2013 at 04:27