Discussion Forum

Fathom Mage challenge

Hey guys

This is the official abuse the shit out of Fathom Mage challenge, and I mean no limited or standard softness, I want to see this go all the way, abuse those old cards. I want to see some draw through your deck silliness.

- must be legacy legal and aimed at casual play
- must use at least 1xFathom Mage and be heavily build around this card and or following its theme
- state that you're build is aimed at multiplayer of 1vs1
- be original if possible if you still believe in such a thing
- non liniar strategies with tons of interactions and synergies between cards are appreciated

go nuts

Seth
Posted 17 May 2013 at 11:32

I don't think I'll have enough time to do this one before I head home but the problem with this creature is most of the best interactions with it are from the same block... Simic works insanely well together.

I'll think of something for you though. ;)

Edit: There's technically a combo with something like Elfball featuring Door of Destinies and using the mage as a Beck/Glimpse of nature replacement. It would obviously be significantly slower than normal Glimpse decks but could go off over multiple turns instead of having to do it right now.
Posted 17 May 2013 at 12:00

My problem is mostly that I still like to build 1vs1 normal style decks but I no longer know any people that play this type of magic so there's no point in me building these decks anymore. I now only know tournament players and Commander players. Although commander is great it doesn't really alow you to brew around 1 particular card unless it happens to be a legendary creature.

Anyway it's true that the new set has tons of great synergies but the shell for the deck will be stronger if you don't stick to just standard.

just thinking out loud

- I fancy plays like Birthing Pod Fathom Mage into The Mimeoplasm exiling Fathom Mage and stacking a ton of counters on it. (stupid shit like Lord of Extinction for counters with Psychosis Crawler on the field)

- Using Cauldron of Souls in combination with the +1/+1 theme

- I'll be using Cradle of Vitality with Fathom mage in the EDH deck I'm building

- Liquimetal Coating or Memnarch making Fathom Mage an artifact then dumping a mass of +1/+1 counters on it from Arcbound Ravager (just being silly here)

- Forgotten Ancient goodness and Fathom Mage synergies

- Reveillarking that fucker

- Wild Pair Sakura-Tribe Elder or Coiling Oracle into Fathom Mage

- good old grafting goodness

- Ghave, Guru of Spores and Varolz, the Scar-Striped seem awesome in combo with Fathom Mage. So does Blade of the Bloodchief possibly in combination with creatures that bring along eldrazi spawn tokens that in turn can be sacked so Fathom Mage draws cards and you get mana for it.

there's just a lot of potential for the card even if it will always be just a support card and not really a win condition. it play well with a lot of what is out there...
Posted 17 May 2013 at 12:43

http://www.mtgvault.com/portugaru/decks/fathom-mage-challenge/

Ok finished adjusting it tell me what you think
Posted 18 May 2013 at 09:09

http://www.mtgvault.com/epsilon-2/decks/fathom-mage-challenge/

Here ya go... considered going bant at first but changed my mind.
Posted 20 May 2013 at 11:23

strong stuff guys :)
Posted 21 May 2013 at 07:31