Discussion Forum

Sekki EDH

I wanted to make a commander that was fun, playable, and slightly original. After looking in my binder, I found Sekki, Seasons' Guide, and decided he would be my general.

This is the list I came up with (with card explanations):
Card Choices
1 Acidic Slime: Great Utility and a decent blocker. Can also act as a spot removal with Arena or Tracker
1 Arena: Works well with DT and Sekki. Can force tokens to be made so that I have more bodies to overrun with.
1 Asceticism: Protects vs. Board wipes and spot removal.
1 Avenger of Zendikar: Solid choice in any green deck. Makes many dudes that grow, and can act as a win con.
1 Beast Within: Choice green removal, since it can deal with anything and can also give me a body if I need it.
1 Birds of Paradise: A lame choice, but I have the gorgeous media promo, so auto-include.
1 Boundless Realms: Just trying it out and it is absurd. Has synergy with avenger, and anything else that likes lands. Oh yeah, it ramps too.
1 Caged Sun: Great lord effect for multiple bodies and doubles mana.
1 Citanul Woodreaders: An odd choice but you can never have too much CA
1 Craterhoof Behemoth: Solid finisher, especially in Sekki due to the large amount of bodies.
1 Cream of the Crop: I have debated cutting this before and will do so when I find a decent replacement.
1 Cultivate: Awesome ramp and sorta cantrips for when I lead with Magus.
1 Desert Twister: A meh card that I added just because I felt it was versatile enough.
1 Doubling Season: Another thing I want to cut. It’s useful, but draws a ton of hate and I normally have to untap with it to use it.
1 Dryad Arbor: Can be fetched off of GSZ and Nature’s Lore. Acts as a body for Craterhoof, and can be tossed to Skullclamp.
1 Elvish Visionary: Filler. Cantrips and can be tossed to clamp.
1 Eternal Witness: Auto-include in all green decks.
1 Everflowing Chalice: Awesome artifact ramp since it can tap the turn it enters.
1 Expedition Map: Filler. I need something better at the 1 slot.
1 Explore: Cool ramp that can smooth out draws. Land enters untapped as well.
1 Extraplanar Lens: Mana doubler.
1 Fauna Shaman: The budget version of Survival of the Fittest.
27 Forest: Auto-include
1 Gaea's Anthem: I have many cards that spread power over multiple bodies. This makes them better. It also makes Sekki live after losing all counters, which means I can fight and still get tokens without him dying, or feed him to clamp.
1 Garruk Wildspeaker: My fave walker of all time. Can Overrun after one +1.
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter: Another solid PW. Can give me CA.
1 Gauntlet of Power: Mana doubler and lord effect.
1 Greater Good: Card advantage.
1 Green Sun's Zenith: Green tutor that can act as 1 mana ramp.
1 Harmonize: Green CA.
1 Indrik Stomphowler: Good artifact/enchant removal and on a 4/4 body to boot!
1 Jugan, the Rising Star: Counters aren’t always bad in a Sekki deck. He also makes a good target for Greater Good.
1 Kodama's Reach: Solid ramp. See Cultivate.
1 Krosan Grip: Honestly, one of my favorite green EDH cards ever (closely followed by Magus of the Library). Just a solid card overall and can stop Staff of Domination
1 Krosan Tusker: Can give me a land and draw me a card. Also can be a large 6/5 body.
1 Leyline of Vitality: Another enabler for Sekki that has some life as well.
1 Magus of the Library: This card is severely underrated. Dropping this on t2 is absurd. Droping it late, it can be used with Skullclamp or add a body to Craterhoof.
1 Master of the Wild Hunt: Helps with lord effects and can use wolves to fight Sekki. Wolves can be used this way with clamp as well, or as spot removal with Flail.
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea: Solid land that can be used for politics as well.
1 Mind Stone: Ramp that can become a draw late in the game.
1 Mosswort Bridge: Fun little land that can cheat out not-so-fun things
1 Mystifying Maze: My budget replacement for Maze of Ith.
1 Nature's Lore: Fetches an untapped Forest or Dryad Arbor
1 Oracle of Mul Daya: MUAHAHAHAHA ALL THE RAMP!!!!! Works with Top.
1 Overwhelming Stampede: Amazing finisher. Not everyone enjoys it, but it’s better than just winning against everyone via combo.
1 Parallel Evolution: Fun little gem that works wonders even with 2-3 tokens. Also has flashback.
1 Patron of the Orochi: May be cut soon, but it ramps and does lots of stuff. Is a 7/7 beater too.
1 Reach of Branches: Cool card. It’s just a solid instant in mono-green.
1 Regal Force: Auto-include for CA.
1 Repopulate: A meta decision. Can cycle itself.
1 Scute Mob: Becomes a beater FAST. Solid 1 drop.
1 Sensei's Divining Top: Auto-include.
1 Skullclamp: Good with tokens, and still hits Sekki if a lord card is out.
1 Skyshroud Claim: Solid ram. Lands ETB untapped and can fetch Dryad arbor.
1 Slippery Karst: Cycle land.
1 Sol Ring: Auto-include.
1 Soul's Majesty: Cool CA.
1 Sylvan Library: Auto-include.
1 Sylvan Primordial: One of the most solid green cards ever printed for multiplayer EDH.
1 Sylvok Replica: Meh artifact and enchant removal. Works with Skullclamp.
1 Terastodon: Solid green Bomb.
1 Thespian's Stage: Beyond solid land. Usable in almost ANY EDH deck.
1 Tranquil Thicket: Cycle land.
1 Traproot Kami: Fodder. A personal favorite (creature) of mine.
1 Ulvenwald Tracker: Forces fights in a highly efficient manner.
1 Unyaro Bees: These bees can get absurd.
1 Vernal Bloom: Mana doubler.
1 Viridian Zealot: Artifact/enchant removal. Can be pitched to the clamp.
1 Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger: Mana Doubler, bomb, and control guy all in one package.
1 Xantid Swarm: TAKE ZERO DAMAGE HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Also you can’t counter my stuff this turn.
1 Shape of the Wiitigo: I want to replace this card so bad, but I like it so much.
1 Gorgon Flail: Helps keep Sekki relevant without counters and still able to kill things in a fight.
1 Hornet Queen: Creates many bodies for lord effects. Flies and has DT. Great for fighting.

I would like to make the lands less lazy and to cut most (if not all) of the filler.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 02:59

These are kind of all over the place... can you link the deck list or group them by type or something so it's easier to view?
Posted 23 May 2013 at 05:06

- Birds of Paradise: even with pretty art I would still not play a mana dork, You'll need all the card advantage you can get and this is a step in the opposite direction.

- Magus of the Library: I still play Library of Alexandria (I know it's banned) in one of my commander decks and It's hard to maintain if you're not playing blue and a controlish style deck, magus is even harder to maintain because you can't drop him turn 1 and use him right away. If you start mana ramping early on which you always should in a green deck it's going to be impossible to maintain a hand of 7.

- Xantid Swarm: when is this going to be useful?

- Basilisk Collar is better then Gorgon Flail and if you get enough lifegain into your deck you could play Well of Lost Dreams for more card draw. I would play Loxodon Hammer for sure

- Myojin of Life's Web is very strong in mono green
- Deadwood Treefolk is strong
- Genesis Wave is a must
- Hypergenesis is very strong
- Gaea's Cradle is nuts but if you don't have it yet you missed your chance :) (price is nuts too)
- Slate of Ancestry is an absolute must for your deck
- Creeping Renaissance is pretty good
- Lead the Stampede is worth concidering
- Praetor's Counsel is a must
- Tooth and Nail is a must
- Collective Unconscious is good
- Rampaging Baloths is nuts
- Concordant Crossroads might be nice
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking is nuts
- Hunter's Insight = goood
- Momentous Fall = goood
- Lurking Predators = good
- Mana Reflection = good
- Paleoloth is a must

- I see you play cards to boost creatures, Beastmaster Ascension is about the best one out there.

- Garruk's Packleader, Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest are must haves

- some tutors like Worldly Tutor, Primal Command, Time of Need, Natural Order, ...

hope this helps (sorry about listing expensive cards as well, I do realize lots of people don't have these, I'm just listing stuff that comes to mind. The price of cards is a strange thing, I waited a long time before finally buying Doubling Season at 6$ a card because 6$ was so much back then. Same for Gaea's Cradle which I bout at 15$, Natural Order which I bought a full playset of at 6$ for 4 etc.. etc...)
Posted 23 May 2013 at 07:27

[QUOTE=Seth]-
- Xantid Swarm: when is this going to be useful?

- Basilisk Collar is better then Gorgon Flail and if you get enough lifegain into your deck you could play Well of Lost Dreams for more card draw. I would play Loxodon Hammer for sure

- Myojin of Life's Web is very strong in mono green
- Deadwood Treefolk is strong
- Genesis Wave is a must
- Hypergenesis is very strong
- Gaea's Cradle is nuts but if you don't have it yet you missed your chance :) (price is nuts too)
- Slate of Ancestry is an absolute must for your deck
- Creeping Renaissance is pretty good
- Lead the Stampede is worth concidering
- Praetor's Counsel is a must
- Tooth and Nail is a must
- Collective Unconscious is good
- Rampaging Baloths is nuts
- Concordant Crossroads might be nice
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking is nuts
- Hunter's Insight = goood
- Momentous Fall = goood
- Lurking Predators = good
- Mana Reflection = good
- Paleoloth is a must

- I see you play cards to boost creatures, Beastmaster Ascension is about the best one out there.

- Garruk's Packleader, Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest are must haves

- some tutors like Worldly Tutor, Primal Command, Time of Need, Natural Order, ...

[/QUOTE]

I agree on Birds and Magus (sadly) but I would still like something in the 1-2 mana range to replace them.

I run Gorgon Flail because it is better in this deck since it gives +1/+1, which is highly relevant with Sekki, and the lifegain off of collar is hardly relevant enough to justify the replacement.

Myojin seems like a win-more card to me.

I tried running deadwood, but I don't always have multiple choice targets.

Genesis wave is in over Shape of the Wiitigo.

Hypergenesis is too dangerous for my tastes.

Cradle is out of my reach.

Slate is really good and I will fit it in.

I don't want multiple card recursion so CR is out.

I don't run enough creatures for LtS.

I tried Council, but I never had that large of a GY.

T&N is wayyyyy too hated at my meta (and i cannot afford it).

6 cmc conditional draw is not what I want.

I want to put in baloths, but they draw a ton of hate.

Crossroads is out of my reach (I think) but I still wouldn't add it.

I really don't want to run Azusa (it's just me).

Glad I'm not the only one who likes insight. I'm not sure where to fit it though.

Fall i have tried.

Predators is a hate drawing machine.

I TRADED MY MANA REFLECTION FOR A DUMB URBORG GODDAMMIT.

Paleoloth may be in.

Xantid Swarm gives me a body, can be pitched to clamp, and lets me resolve my spells (yes it has been relevent).

I am adding Worldly Tutor.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 14:21

- Crossroads from legends is expensive, the other one (white bordered) is cheap.
- Myojin of Life's Web is far from win more, it lets you drop creatures in an opponents turn which sort of gives them haste and can be used to kill creatures when an opponent attacks you, it's extremly powerful, it's basically flash for all your creatures.

If you have insane card draw like Greater Good (and if there is one card that should draw hate it's greater good) or Momentous Fall and you have a big creature, lets say Multani, Maro-Sorcerer or Omnath, Locus of Mana then dropping creatures from your hand with Myojin of Life's Web is very strong and can end the game. Just playing them in your turn you'll start feeling like you're one turn to slow.

A great way to play around hate is just to overpower your opponents in one turn. And I'm not talking about combo here, it's just a good tactic to save up for an all out attack rather then showing your plan by just playing creature after creature. A green deck is already pretty open book, green is not the color of big surprises, still it's what wins games (at least in multiplayer).

Tooth and Nail used to be a 1$ card, I gave several away to friends starting out playing EDH (long before it was called commander and prices sky rocketed). I'm glad I kept a few for myself :)
But you're right it's a combo card.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 14:54