Discussion Forum

Mill Allies

I'm new to the forums here and need a little bit of help with this deck.

I love the ally creature type and have decided to try my hand at making a casual budget ally mill deck.

The deck can be found here.

All comments are welcome. I already have most of the ally cards and would like to try to keep the deck under $50. I have proxied the current deck already and it seems to play fine, just wondering if there are any improvements that can be made. Thanks in advance.
Posted 24 May 2013 at 18:55

- you can boost the effectiveness of Archive Trap with Trapmaker's Snare in a meta with lots of fetchland or stuff that searches the library

- Azorius signet would be better then Azorius Keyrune and playing it 2 times doesn't seem useful, either you rely on having it turn 2 in which case you need more mana acceleration of casting cost 2 or you don't play it at all. After turn 2 it becomes increasingly worse to draw into it.

- venser at mana cost 5 is hard to cast on your mana base with only 2 mana accelerators. The chance of casting him turn 5 is extremly small.

- Unless you have a way of giving it haste Sea Gate Loremaster is pretty bad, I would not play it

- Your mana curve indicates that you won't have a nice flow when playing, you won't be using your mana in an optimal way. You'll have unused mana in a bunch of turns and for an aggressive deck that's pretty bad. It's bad for any deck but even more so for an aggro deck.

- Mother of Runes would do a lot for your deck, so would Aether Vial but both are expensive-ish

- the guildgates make your deck even slower then it already is, in a 2 color deck you should be able to get away with basics. The Gracial Fortress is very good, there are other lands that aren't expensive but still very good like Adarkar Wastes and Seachrome Coast

A creature like Sage of Epityr or a spell like ponder would do wonders to smooth out your deck flow

- you should play Hedron Crab to speed up milling your opponent + it's a 1 drop and you're low on 1 drops.

- Phantasmal Image would be an excellent additional clone effect for this deck if you would play Hedron Crab as it can't be copied with Jwari Shapeshifter

- you should play 1 or 2 Ranger of Eos, he's great to fetch those powerful one drops

hope this helps you out
Posted 27 May 2013 at 07:52