Discussion Forum

Abilities?

Hi! when Detainment Spell is enchanted to a creature, which abilities cannot be activated? for example if the enchanted creature is Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran, or Airdrop Condor. The first is activated and the second is triggered? both of them cannot be activated or only the first? i think only the first but I'm not sure? Thank's
Posted 30 May 2013 at 13:49

Detainment Spell clearly states that it impacts activated abilities only. Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran doesn't have activated abilities, he has a triggered ability that triggers as normal, Detainment Spell has no effect on him. Airdrop Condor however has an activated ability that cannot be used as long as he is echanted with Detainment Spell.

PS: use the CARD tags around cards so we don't have to look them up (there's a little card icon that adds these tags automatically in the text editor)
Posted 30 May 2013 at 14:03

Seth stop being a dick. Instead of telling him how wrong he is you should tell him what 'activated abilities' are. They are any abilities that need a price to pay in order to use them. Abilities that are go off with one any payment are not activated abilities. All abilities need to be actived, however, only ones that you need to pay for are called 'activated abilities'. For example, sacing a creature, paying mana, discarding a card. However a card like Illusionist's Bracers makes things muddy. Because it can copy 'activated abilities' as well as non-activated abilities so long as that ability is active. I hope this has helped clear things up for you.
Posted 17 June 2013 at 16:28

[QUOTE=vines]Seth stop being a dick. Instead of telling him how wrong he is you should tell him what 'activated abilities' are. They are any abilities that need a price to pay in order to use them. Abilities that are go off with one any payment are not activated abilities. All abilities need to be actived, however, only ones that you need to pay for are called 'activated abilities'. For example, sacing a creature, paying mana, discarding a card. However a card like Illusionist's Bracers makes things muddy. Because it can copy 'activated abilities' as well as non-activated abilities so long as that ability is active. I hope this has helped clear things up for you.[/QUOTE]

Again, stop giving misinformation. Seth isn't being a dick. He told him that Agrus' ability is triggered and gave an example of a creature with an activated ability.

All abilities are not activated. Activated abilities are any ability with a : in it to signify a payment to activate it. All other abilities are triggered or static which are not impacted by detain, Illusionist's Bracers or pretty much anything else.

To the OP, Detail will stop Agrus' ability from triggering but only because it stops him from attacking. If there were a way to force him to attack while detained, his ability would trigger as normal but since he cannot attack, he cannot fulfill the trigger to set of his ability.
Posted 18 June 2013 at 04:55

Even passive abilities have to be active in order to work. All abilities are activated. Some are passively activated. Others have to be proactively activated through the paying of an activation cost, these abilities are known as activated abilities.
Posted 19 June 2013 at 21:04

[QUOTE=vines]Even passive abilities have to be active in order to work. All abilities are activated. Some are passively activated. Others have to be proactively activated through the paying of an activation cost, these abilities are known as activated abilities.[/QUOTE]

Stop. A static ability (like all white creatures get +1/+1) is always active. It does not have to be activated and cannot possibly be activated. It's not an activated ability. An activated ability is any ability with a : indicating a cost. Any ability without a : is NOT an activated ability.
Posted 20 June 2013 at 04:31

I missed you vines!!!!

You make me laugh...

gregory surras as you might have already understood Seth and epsilon are correct :::Flies away:::

for you to understand difference between activated and triggered is as simple as english grammar.

to trigger something external has to happen(99% of cases).

to activate something must make it activate(99% of cases).

Best regards

Alexandre Jesus
Posted 20 June 2013 at 07:34