Discussion Forum

Odric, Master Tactician

Hello all. While using Odric in a rather casual match today, I attacked with him and three others to set off his ability. Normally this would go fine, but the person on the receiving end (as well as my friends watching the match) all said, that despite Odric's card text, that the defending player can in fact assign blockers, but I am only allowed to assign how they block. Obviously, this is not what Odric says, but as they have played longer than me, and all said that they asked the very same question to a judge and provided the same answer, I let it slide and we kept the match going.

So, the question is obvious: can they assign blockers or am I only allowed to assign them? I feel the answer is obvious but until I get another ruling on it I can't really convince them otherwise.
Posted 06 June 2013 at 02:06

From the official card information page on the Wizards of the Coast "Gatherer" site.

"7/1/2012 -- You can decide that a creature won't block.

7/1/2012 -- All blocking declarations must still be legal.

7/1/2012 -- If there's a cost associated with having a creature block and you choose for that creature to block, its controller can choose to pay that cost or not. If that player decides to not pay that cost, you must propose a new set of blocking creatures."
Posted 06 June 2013 at 02:58

You could ask your friends to RTFC. ...or just link them to the oracle rulings.
Posted 06 June 2013 at 04:37

[QUOTE=TheWaddleDeeKing] Obviously, this is not what Odric says, but[/QUOTE]

lol

its funny how straight forward the wording on that card is and yet people make it into whatever they want it to be.

that said I've made my own share of mis-reads over the years and still do :)
Posted 06 June 2013 at 06:56

You can decide how if AND how they block. You cannot, however, decide how they deal damage.
Posted 07 June 2013 at 00:05

The card does not take away is 'declear blockers' step only that for the most part you will normally already have assigned all the creatures so for the most part he would be able to assign a creature because you got to do it before he did. However, he can assign blockers if he casted that creature(s) just after you assign blockers. Only creatures with flash can be casted during combat. So if he had a creature with flash and casted that creature card after you assgned his creatures then yeah he can do that. Other wise no.
Posted 17 June 2013 at 16:14

[QUOTE=vines]The card does not take away is 'declear blockers' step only that for the most part you will normally already have assigned all the creatures so for the most part he would be able to assign a creature because you got to do it before he did. However, he can assign blockers if he casted that creature(s) just after you assign blockers. Only creatures with flash can be casted during combat. So if he had a creature with flash and casted that creature card after you assgned his creatures then yeah he can do that. Other wise no.[/QUOTE]

Please stop giving misinformation. You've been warned more than once.

The only way to block vs Odric when the player says no blocks is with a card that puts a creature into play blocking (like Flash Foliage). All blocks are declared at once so even a creature with flash would have to be in play for the declare blockers step and Odric would be able to choose that they do not block.
Posted 18 June 2013 at 04:46

The player using Odric can say no blockers but it will only pertain to the creatures that were out during the time of aassignment. If a new creature pops up by the time it comes to the rightful declare blocker step the player (not using odric) can assign those new creatures. I don't know why you are saying I'm giving misinformation. I'm just following the rules as best I can so a** holes don't get on my case.
Posted 19 June 2013 at 07:56

The declare blocker step is when Odric declares no blockers. All blocks are declared at once during this step. No creatures can be assigned to block after blocks have been declared. If you cast a creature with flash, it will be in play for the declare blockers step for the Odric player to choose that it does not block.

Again, the ONLY way to block when Odric chooses that nothing blocks is to put something into play blocking by default or a spell that makes a creature become blocked like Curtain of Light or Trap Runner.
Posted 19 June 2013 at 08:29