Discussion Forum

Bloodthrone vampire

Hi people,

I have a doubt reguarding Bloodthrone, let´s imagine that I have a bloodthrone vampire two spirit tokens and a Knight of infamy in my control during, a game. In the combat phase I decide to attack with Bloodthrone alone, geting the exalted bonus of the knight, and letting the damage resolve by giving voice to the other player. My question is, if the other player decides to take the damage, can I sacrifice then, the two tokens to boost bloodthrone vampire ability, adding the extra bonus to the damage already dealt or must I sacrifice the tokens BEFORE giving voice to the other player

Sorry for my poor English writting.
Posted 15 June 2013 at 13:38

So it is your attack turn, you declare a sole attacker bloodthrone vampire, your opponent does not declare blockers, then you proceed to beat the **** out of him by sacrificing your dudes.

A super legit play.

Keep up the good magic.
Posted 15 June 2013 at 21:09

There are multiple steps to combat.

Start of Combat
Declare Attackers
Declare Blockers
Damage
After Damage/End of Combat
(Also if any creatures have first strike it creates an additional damage/after damage step)

You gain priority during every step, except where the damage is actually dealt (but you have priority before and after so that's not really relevant). The play you've mentioned would take place after he declares that he is not blocking, before the damage step. He can't "take the damage" without you gaining priority to sac your creatures to make him stronger after he chooses not to block.

If you waited til after the damage step, you could still sac the creatures but additional damage would not be dealt. That might be relevant for something like Fling or Mutilate but in general you'd still want to do that before the damage step for additional damage there.
Posted 17 June 2013 at 04:28