Discussion Forum

Goblin Arsonist

This would be easiest to explain if I outline the situation:

I have Tukatongue Thallid & Champion of Lambholt on the field. The Champion has just been played (so it's still 1/1). My opponent has an untapped Goblin Arsonist.

I attack with Tukatongue Thallid, my opponent blocks with the Arsonist - both creatures are killed in battle.

I put a 1/1 Saproling into play, my opponent chooses to do the 1 damage to Champion.

Does the Champion live or die? I don't know the timing between the abilities, aka is the saproling in play before the Arsonist can do his damage or does the damage occur before the Champion gets the +1/+1?
Posted 28 June 2013 at 13:11

Because both death abilities trigger at the same time, they go on the stack in APNAP order, meaning that the Goblin Arsonist ability will trigger last and resolve first. So the Champion will be dealt damage killed before the Saproling can enter play to boost it.
Posted 29 June 2013 at 06:15

What he said

In case you don't know what APNAP means:

Basically because you are active player the affect of the thallid is placed on the stack first then the effect of the non active player is placed on the stack (arsonist). When the stack resolves the top of the stack = arsonist resolves first and the champion dies, then the thallid resolves.
Posted 29 June 2013 at 09:18

Thanks guys. So if the situation had been reversed, Champion would have been ok since the Thallid's ability resolves first.

I didn't know, with simultaneous activation, which order the abilities resolved in.

Thanks again!
Posted 29 June 2013 at 12:16