Discussion Forum

Burn Help

http://www.mtgvault.com/miles123/decks/legacy-burn-attempt/
This is a deck that I would love to make viable for Legacy, but keep it cheap. I'm taking out the Lavamancers for something cheaper. It's turn five consistent, but i would like to make it faster. Help me out? I don't want many creatures either. no more than 4 for sure.
Posted 14 July 2013 at 02:13

Left some comments on the deck. I don't usually play legacy but a friend of mine has a competitive burn deck, and he runs all of my suggestions. Good luck!
Posted 16 July 2013 at 19:21

If you mean viable for tournament play by viable for legacy you will have to make the investment. Burn is probably the cheapest deck around but it's also one of the least effective decks around and cutting the cost isn't going to increase your chances of winning.

here's my experience with burn

- Dark Confidant decks and in particular the now popular Jund decks lose to burn which is the good news. It means your deck is a pretty good meta call right now.

- Everything that runs lifegain will beat burn unless you side in Sulfuric Vortex game 2. This is a fact and Sulfuric Vortex is a real pain in the ass and really really!!! good for you.

- Deathrite Shaman Decks (which is a large portion of the field) right now run an absurt amount of fetchland. This means you could concider playing Ankh of Mishra and you probably should play Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon in sideboard

- against Storm decks Pyrostatic Pillar is pretty good

Your main board:

- 21 land is a lot, you should have a mana curve of CC1 and CC2 with mostly CC1. 18 land should be enough if you're not playing fetchland.

- not playing fetchland makes grim lavamancer a lot worse.

- Thunderous Wrath is bad because it increases the odds of dead spells in your starting 7. It really matters.

- Browbeat is a trap, it never does what you need it to do and CC3 makes it to expensive to play.

- Fireblast is awesome but you probably are better of playing 2 instead of 4. Again for the reason that every dead card counts and seriously decreases your chances of winning.

- Breaking Point seems bad

- You need Chain Lightning and Price of Progress

- If you take the creature route 4xGoblin Guide + a combination of Hellspark Elemental and Keldon Marauders is pretty effective

- Relic of Progenitus is good against both decks that run goyfs/knights and graveyard based combo decks like dredge and reanimator

My last encounter with Burn was 2 weeks ago at a local tournament. I was playing Bant and he UR Delver. I had green sun's zenith into Rhox War Monk and that alone easily won me the 2-0, I even lived through 3xPrice of Progress game 2 and didn't even need my Swords to Plowshares on my own 7/7 knight of the Reliquary but it was good backup keeping me far out of danger. I told the guy he needed Sulfuric Vortex, with it he would probably have won.
Posted 17 July 2013 at 07:28

You can check out my competition burn.

http://www.mtgvault.com/mdiakne/decks/3-turn-burn/

can get it for $200 prolly less if you have some of the cards :)

its as fast and consistant as i could make it. The deck does damage to you as well, but counts on the turn 4 victory to kill the opponent before it really makes a difference.
Posted 30 August 2013 at 18:23