Discussion Forum

Modern alternatives to a Crystal Vein and Saprazzan Skerry

im loving my blue artifact deck, very solid, but some people get all weird that its legacy. so i thought i might try and update it to modern format. here it is as it stands:

http://www.mtgvault.com/nfrench/decks/blue-artifact-legacy/

the only cards making it legacy are the metalworker, thran dynamo, crystal vein, and Saprazzan Skerry. these are all VERY important to my mana acceleration. so now that i want to use quicksilver almulet to replace the rediculous amount of mana ramp the metalworker gives, i was wondering if anyone knew of some good non basic lands that might be able to get the same mana growth i can get with the legacy deck. because crystal vein is just beautiful, doesnt come in tapped and i can sack it right away for 2 mana. and i love sprazzan but if its not in my opening hand and i draw it somewhere in the middle of the game i get a little disappointed because it comes in tapped, but its greats for the blue mana.

any ideas and suggestions are appreciated thanks :)
Posted 28 July 2013 at 13:11

I like the deck overall, but if you want to make it Modern legal, you first need to accept that the mana base would not be that good (but not bad either), and it´s obvious, cause you have less cards choice (I have an Affinity deck myself, so i suffered it too, Ancient tomb, and the artifacts lands are not Modern Legal). Anyway, the lands of Urza, Urza's Tower, Urza's Power Plant and Urza's Mine are Modern legal, Expedition Map is a good land tutor, and even Palladium Myr with the help of Voltaic Key could be good, and is a decent blocker if needed.And Gilded Lotus is the most similar to Thran Dynamo that i could think of.
Hope it helps, please comment my deck too, Modern Legal, if you have time, tks.

http://www.mtgvault.com/sieg021/decks/the-rock/
Posted 28 July 2013 at 13:47

yeah i kinda figured that :\ gilded lotus is nice, only one more mana to play than thran. and i didnt realize the urza's lands were modern.. but obviously ramping only begins when all three are out.. are there any non basic land tutors? or can cycling or transmute or one of those be used to grab a non basic?
Posted 30 July 2013 at 21:54

Besides Expedition Map (that search for non basic too), what is a cheap and good land tutor for the format imo, cause it´s colorless, in blue it would be hard find a better tutor. If you could splash green somehow, Sylvan Scrying rocks.
Posted 31 July 2013 at 00:09