Discussion Forum

Painter's Servant - I don't understand.

I just posted this at the oracle, however I know that getting an answer from that site might just not happen or it takes weeks/years.

My issue here is that I'm confused by the oracle text, which I presume is most up to date and the ruling from 2008.

Does this card, color ALL cards in the game, battlefield, graveyard etc or ONLY cards that are in the library, hand and other unplayed cards (where ever they now might be).

This is the card I'm talking about:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=146022
Posted 29 July 2013 at 18:31

Yea, it means everything in play, graveyards, hands, library, ect.... are all the color you choose.
Posted 29 July 2013 at 22:35

This is a crazy card really, if it makes all cards an additional color, that also makes them multicolored and most artifacts and lands single colored and you can also use protection from [this color] on all your opponents cards... etc etc

It's just so good, that's why I've been so curious.
Posted 30 July 2013 at 01:06

[QUOTE=Hipshot]This is a crazy card really, if it makes all cards an additional color, that also makes them multicolored and most artifacts and lands single colored and you can also use protection from [this color] on all your opponents cards... etc etc

It's just so good, that's why I've been so curious.[/QUOTE]

It's been played in tournament legacy for years as a 2 card combo with Grindstone, it mills the library in one activation. A common use of painter servant in tournament play as well as casual play is to turn Pyroblast or Red Elemental blast into a 1 mana Vindicate as well as a 1 mana Counterspell which is pretty nasty.
Playing these is powerful and cheap enough for your every day casual deck.
Posted 30 July 2013 at 06:56