Discussion Forum

Cackling counterpart and clone question

If I were to cast Clone and copy Goblin Guttersnipe and the use Cackling Counterpart on the Clone. Would I get a Clone and get to copy whatever I want or would I get the Goblin Guttersnipe? Thank you in advance for your help.
Posted 01 August 2013 at 01:06

Good question. I believe it will just be a guttersnipe. After you cast clone, it is no longer clone. It assumes all properties, abilities, and attributes of the copied card, and therefore effectively becoming another guttersnipe. Since clone "no longer exists," it can not be copied.
Posted 01 August 2013 at 01:47

Once a clone is copying something, it is that something rather than clone. You cannot copy a clone unless you let it come into play copying nothing (with some kind of global buff so it doesn't die as a 0/0). Kinda pointless for most things but it could be relevant with certain clones like Phyrexian Metamorph.
Posted 01 August 2013 at 04:41

I have a related question that came up last weekend

Player A has Woodfall Primus and player B plays a kicked rite of replication on woodfall Primus. Another player responds with some card that makes the Woodfall primus a 0/2 (I believe it was) with no abilities.

Does the woodfall Primus card get copied or the state it's in at the time rite resolves? In other words does player B get 5 0/2 tokens with no abilities? (which is how we ruled it at the time but I wasn't 100% sure)
Posted 01 August 2013 at 06:53

That depends on what the card was... From the sounds of it, he'd get 5 0/2's with no abilities.

That reminds me of an epic game someone told me about... Someone kicked a Rite on some bomb, I think it was Prime Time which was still legal at the time and in response another player Cytoshape'd it into an Eater of Days.
Posted 01 August 2013 at 09:13

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]That depends on what the card was... From the sounds of it, he'd get 5 0/2's with no abilities.

That reminds me of an epic game someone told me about... Someone kicked a Rite on some bomb, I think it was Prime Time which was still legal at the time and in response another player Cytoshape'd it into an Eater of Days.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that is epic

I've looked it up, it was Turn-Burn, a new fuse card from Dargon Maze.

Target creature loses all abilities and becomes a 0/1 red Weird until end of turn.

So he got 5 0/1 red Weirds
Posted 01 August 2013 at 10:04