Discussion Forum

Werewolves, wanting to give them one last go in FNM

I have a werewolf deck :manar::manag: that was from when Innistrad first came out, I know it's regarded by most as to only be kitchen table worthy but I did fairly well at FNM when I went and played with it and got quite a few praises as one of the best theme decks they had seen in a while and easily the best built werewolf one. I'm looking now to make it standard again and hopefully blow a few people out of the water. Any suggestions or ideas to improve it/ sideboard cards / replace the no longer standard cards are much appreciated. http://www.mtgvault.com/kugu/decks/lunar-howl/
Posted 05 August 2013 at 10:49

Strionic Resonator - Transform your guys twice so they stay as wolves. Can be particularly brutal with the huntmaster.

Mutavault - Gains buffs to werewolves

Huntmaster of the Fells - Best werewolf by far.

Armed // Dangerous - Doublestrike on buffed front ends is brutal.

Replacing the forests and some mountains with a playset of Stomping Ground wouldn't hurt.

I'd probably play Shock or Skullcrack over the burn you're currently playing.

Ancient Grudge and Naturalize are a bit much unless you have a lot of artifacts worth hating in your meta. You'd probably be fine cutting the number of both in half or more and just sideboarding them. Replace with Ranger's Guile to defend your stronger wolves from removal.
Posted 05 August 2013 at 11:43

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Strionic Resonator - Transform your guys twice so they stay as wolves. Can be particularly brutal with the huntmaster.

Mutavault - Gains buffs to werewolves

Huntmaster of the Fells - Best werewolf by far.

Armed // Dangerous - Doublestrike on buffed front ends is brutal.

Replacing the forests and some mountains with a playset of Stomping Ground wouldn't hurt.

I'd probably play Shock or Skullcrack over the burn you're currently playing.

Ancient Grudge and Naturalize are a bit much unless you have a lot of artifacts worth hating in your meta. You'd probably be fine cutting the number of both in half or more and just sideboarding them. Replace with Ranger's Guile to defend your stronger wolves from removal.[/QUOTE]

I've ran hunts master before and since the deck primarily tries to lock the werewolves into were form Via Immerwolf and Moonmist, I didn't really get too many changes off with him. I'll be replacing incinerate with Shock or Skullcrack for sure, but I'll probably keep the Brimstone. I've never heard of the armed/dangerous and it definitely fits in quite well. Thanks for the heads up

As for the naturalizes and Ancient grudges I was dealing with quite a lot of artifacts at the time I built this ( When Phyrexia was still standard) So I will probably be moving them to the sideboard in favor of more burn or maybe that Rangers Gule, considering swift foot is no longer standard. I'll probably be able to put all of the burn and the guile in.

I'm not sure I follow with your Strionic Resonator advice, maybe I'm just tired but I don't see how that works exactly. As for Muta's a bit pricey but I'll definitely throw one in if I pull one or can get a good trade, and stomping ground seems nice, but my mana isn't really all that reliant on green. Usually the rootbounds do just fine in that regard.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, I'll get to work right now swapping out the cards that I have for it.
Posted 05 August 2013 at 12:06

If you don't have the immerwulfs out and someone casts two spells to make them transform, you can resonate the transform trigger so that they transform twice. That way the one that you resonate will transform to human form and then back to wolf form. It's definitely not a 4 of option but it might not hurt to use one or two to make sure you keep that +3/0 buff or whatever is most important at the time.

As I said, it is particularly crazy with the huntmaster since you can get the flip procs twice.
Posted 05 August 2013 at 12:20

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]If you don't have the immerwulfs out and someone casts two spells to make them transform, you can resonate the transform trigger so that they transform twice. That way the one that you resonate will transform to human form and then back to wolf form. It's definitely not a 4 of option but it might not hurt to use one or two to make sure you keep that +3/0 buff or whatever is most important at the time.

As I said, it is particularly crazy with the huntmaster since you can get the flip procs twice.[/QUOTE]

Hrmm, well I no longer have my huntsmasters since they didn't work too well, but I do have two Strionic Resonators in my binder and I can at the very least try them out, I can definitely see why you would say huntmaster is amazing with that in mind.

Would Mask of Avacyn be a good replacement for swift foot boots or should I just go with Rangers guile and hope it's enough?
Posted 05 August 2013 at 12:34