Discussion Forum

Mono Blue Counter-CloneDeck

This is a custom mono blue deck built around:
- countering opponent's spells,
- scry (looking at the first x cards in my deck and putting them back in any order)
- cards that cause permanent's to remain tapped

http://www.mtgvault.com/swineheart/decks/blue-monster-clone-deck/

Just looking for input and possible suggestions on how to make the deck better/have more synergy. Want to keep it mono blue :)

Thanks
Posted 19 August 2013 at 05:14

- Traumatize doesn't have any synergy with the rest of your deck, casting it has no effect, it's a time walk for your opponent.
- even with all the scry effects it's going to take a very long game for you to ever play anything above 6 mana if you even get to 6 mana.
- you'll have a hard time dealing with fast decks who put you under great pressure as of turn 1. I don't think there's a solution to that when playing mono blue unless you yourself play an aggro deck and you can out race them, and again that's quite difficult playing mono blue.

Of all colors you probably picked the one color that is near unplayable as a mono colored deck. The only exceptions to that are Merfolk which can be strong as just mono blue and Storm Combo which is a very difficult deck to play.
And the thing is, there's just no reason to keep it mono blue, wizards has made playing multiple colors so easy by printing so many duals of all prize categories that everyone can play multicolored decks. And in that lies the problem. If you are the one that is going to play a fair old school mono colored deck you are at a great disadvantage.

The best advice I can give you is to at least play 4 spells that sweep the board so you can reset. Blue is by defenition the slow color, you need time to build a mana base. That's where resets come in. The easiest and cheapest way to have that is to go :manaw::manau: and add wrath of God or Day of Judgment or Supreme Verdict.
Posted 19 August 2013 at 07:29

That's a good point about traumatize, I was iffy about that card being in the deck but originally thought it'd be useful since it makes my opponent discard so many cards.

I disagree about the aggro opponent though, I have tons of counters, so even if from turn 1 my opponent is throwing lightning bolts or something like that at me I could easily counter it.

I feel the same way about the scry effects, I think it'll enable me to get to 6+mana fairly easily.

That being said, I will see how the deck will play out once I assemble it because I do believe you have made some good points. If this deck is seriously lacking I will revamp it.

Thanks for the input dude :)
Posted 19 August 2013 at 15:04

You're welcome

[QUOTE=kadukie]I disagree about the aggro opponent though, I have tons of counters, so even if from turn 1 my opponent is throwing lightning bolts or something like that at me I could easily counter it.
[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about creatures and not spells. If a lightning bolt gets through that's fine, it's a one time effect at the cost of a card. But lets say he plays a Steppe Lynx turn 1, followed by a Turn 2 Wild Nacatl and Loam Lion

by turn 3 a 2/3 Lynx (potentially more), a 2/3 (Lion) and a 3/3 (Cat) will be hitting you and he hasn't even played anything yet that turn. Your blue 1/1 creatures will have to chump block and only stall him a little but without a reset he generates card advantage while your active counters are dead cards and your creatures are no match for his.

It's very difficult to counter fast (casting cost 1) creatures because there are no good counterspells to counter creatures that fast (especially on the draw). Even if you counter some of his creatures an aggro deck will always have a greater threat count then a blue deck has counters simply because they play nothing else but creatures and they play less land then a control deck.

Even in tournament play I have often used Force of Will to stop highly aggresive 1 drops on turn 1 despite the fact that Force of Will sets you a card behind and is aweful against fair (non combo) decks. I do this because as a control deck you just can't cope with very strong 1 drops.

Now lets go back to casual play where the best spell is probably your oldschool Counterspell or some CC2 soft counter. On the draw in his turn 2 you'll have 1 mana and won't be able to counter any of his creature spells and by your turn 2 it will be to late.

Stalling an aggro player is only good if you have a means to reset the board and take control. For instance turn 4 Wrath of God followed by turn 5 Baneslayer Angel will effectivly shut down most aggro decks especially if you can protect that superior creature you just played. This is how traditional control works, stall the game and build up mana, reset, play a superior threat that outmatches anything your opponent can throw at it and protect that threat and ride it to victory.
Posted 20 August 2013 at 14:01