Discussion Forum

Substituting Fetchlands

I need to know what would be better to substitute the fetchlands in the latest Pyromancer Ascension deck ("Finkel Storm"). Here's the list:

16 LANDS
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Island
3 Shivan Reef
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Steam Vents
1 Mountain
1 Cascade Bluffs

4 CREATURES
4 Goblin Electromancer

36 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Manamorphose
4 Desperate Ritual
3 Grapeshot
3 Desperate Ravings
3 Past in Flames
2 Increasing Vengeance
1 Peer Through Depths

4 OTHER SPELLS
4 Pyromancer Ascension

Do you substitute the 4 Scalding Tarns for 4 Sulfur Falls and the 2 Misty Rainforests for 2 more Steam Vents?

Do you try and play around with Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds?

Is there some combination of Falls/Vents/Expanses/Wilds to replace those 6 cards that doesn't disrupt tempo too badly and still have some deck thinning?
Posted 31 August 2013 at 21:53

As for [CARD="Terramorphic Expanse"]Terramorphic Expanse and the like, I don't recommend. They are just too slow.

I would ad 2x more Steam Vents-they are some of the best fixing in the format, and more checklands.

you probably don't need anymore thinning-besides, there aren't really any good non-fetchland thinners.
Posted 29 October 2013 at 01:45

And why would you want to do that? Is it just because fetchlands are expensive because they are the best lands in the game. Fetch is better then duals (and I'm talking oldschool underground sea duals here), there's just no substitude for their power level. Replace them and you weaken your deck dramatically.
That said I would play Basic lands any day over the likes of terramorphic expanse.

At 16 land this decks seems to have a very delicate spall/land balance and probably very well tested landbase. That or you picked a deck that doesn't work but I'm guessing this is a T8 deck. Seems like a bad idea to mess with it.
Posted 29 October 2013 at 08:39