Discussion Forum

w/r Heroism (theros)

Well, ive been in the pre release and came with this in mind, i would like to have some advices or feedback with this.

Basically the idea is to combine the heroism ability with the overload, so i ended with this deck bassed in tokkens with counters and a lot of instants...

Also i would like to get opinions about the colors, im thinking in add blue, for the cards that ive put in the siedeboard, but, it would make the deck more slow, but in con it would be more solid (i guess).

The deck:
http://www.mtgvault.com/sang11/decks/heroic-theros/

[quote]Sorry if i made grammar mistakes but the english is not my native language.[/quote]
Posted 23 September 2013 at 06:15

A heavy aggro deck needs more than 11 creatures to be relevant. The creatures also need to be far more threatening. This type of deck might have been decent at the prerelease but standard constructed is a whole different ball game. Also keep in mind there's only a couple units you'll actually want/be able to trigger heroic on so there's no point in having all the heroic units. Have important ones and then just run stronger aggressive units.

Fabled Hero is pretty much mandatory in a strong white heroic deck. Double strike plus counters from heroic makes any buff on him very dangerous.

Akroan Crusader is just bad IMO. Young Pyromancer is better in that you can heroic a different creature and still get a token. (if you keep it heavily spell based)

A lot of the spells you've chosen don't really do anything. Overload is a complete nonbo with heroic since you have to directly target to get the benefits and overloading a spell makes it trigger nothing. Gift of Immortality is great but it's for slower control decks more than what you're trying to accomplish here.

Purphoros is definitely worth considering with any token based theme.

Spear of Heliod is kinda useless here IMO. It's too slow.

Clifftop Retreat rotates out of standard when Theros becomes legal so you can't use them.

In my opinion, you should switch it up a little. Use a few of the cheap bestow creatures and Ethereal Armor. Hopeful Eidolon is a one drop if you need a creature early and it counts itself in the count on ethereal armor... It can always be put on something else later in the game as well if necessary to trigger heroic or just cast as normal to up the ethereal buff count. Madcap skills is still legal and would be crazy on anything with double strike.
Posted 23 September 2013 at 09:21

Thanks for the answer!

Ill keep all that in mind.

Are you sure overload dont activate heroic? I think im making target every creature i control, including the ones with heroic, so the abillity would trigger, since is being targeted every creature.

I really appreciate your answers, im relative new in the game, so i know only a tiny spectre of the cards that exist.
Posted 23 September 2013 at 16:21

Just read the overload text. It replaces Target with Each. It targets when it's not overloaded but then the ability is replaced when overloaded.

For a spell to target something it has to specifically say "target" and an overloaded spell does not.
Posted 27 September 2013 at 04:50